Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Ventruck said:
Those 31s match what was before the chain drop, simply proving AC would've at least caught Andy no matter what.

But to jump on what could be controversy over where AC started in this TT: I think the only thing he took advantage of was deciding his effort. I bet if he started earlier, he'd have gone much harder. Call me out for assumptions, but based on last year and comparing him to AS, Contador looks like he could've bested Schleck by much more than 31 seconds today.

IF any of that is indeed true, then the bigger question/controversy imo is why AC didn't challenge Menchov's time? He'll pose a much larger threat in the next stage. Whatever AC gained on him during stage 17 evaporated today.
You seem to be forgetting that Schleck was attacking and had already quite a few meters on Contador when his chain dropped. Also after he got his chain back on he rode a considerably faster ascent than Contador, he lost time because of the descent. If AS's chain did not drop, he would have taken time on Contador during that stage.

Another thing is that if Contador had been able to drop Schleck on the Tourmalet, he would surely have done it. And again, in this ITT, he would have liked to have a bigger margin to stop the controversy.

He also cried afterwards and said it had been very difficult. I derive from all these facts that this was a victory on the edge and over the thin line of chivalry within the pro peloton. Contador won on luck and astuce, nothing more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
867-5309 said:
What you Contador apologists are missing is that can win the race and lose the brand. Who would buy a Contador signature frame? Imagine going on a "Alberto Contador tour of the Alps"...the rule being if you get a mechanical you are left behind. Contador cannot sell his image. Schlect has huge appeal. AC will not laugh all the way to the bank.
Ummm....I would buy a Contador signature frame. Thanks for assuming we all see things the way you do, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Maybe we should just blame SRAM for Schleck's Tour losing performance. SRAM should be FORCED to provide answers as to why Schleck's chain fell off at that crucial moment in the race. Schleck might be in yellow tonight had Bjarne Riis chosen to go with the clearly superior Campagnolo or Shimano brands for his Saxo-bank Team. SRAM a new reason to call Riis "Mr. 60%".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
ghost6 said:
Alberto "Thank-God-that-Andy's-Chain-Fell-Off" Contador

Why do you suggest that god had anything to do with reason Andy's chain came off when there are clearly better candidates to blame??? There are perfectly reasonable explanations as to why the "Chaingate" incident occurred-- without any need whatsoever to appeal to a supernatural power. How about the the team mechanic? Schleck himself, for changing gears under load? Or better yet, Sram and the "human" designers of the product that happened to FAIL at that crucial moment in the race?

Giving thanks to a god for a chain coming off in a bike race is equally as stupid as that religous troll Pat Robertson blaming the 2010 Haitian earthquake on some sort of pact with the devil when a simple understanding of plate tectonics was all that was required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
yater said:
He should have lost? For the money? That'll sell bikes....:rolleyes:



He most likely would have won the Tour anyway ....... :rolleyes:
Unfortunately .........he will always be known as the guy who took advantage of a mechanical breakdown to win the Tour. :D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,512 Posts
You could also ask if anyone's ever lost the Tour by something other than their riding.

Contador won by his superior ability to out climb, out time trial, and out shift Andy. :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,512 Posts
enac said:
Maybe we should just blame SRAM for Schleck's Tour losing performance. SRAM should be FORCED to provide answers as to why Schleck's chain fell off at that crucial moment in the race. Schleck might be in yellow tonight had Bjarne Riis chosen to go with the clearly superior Campagnolo or Shimano brands for his Saxo-bank Team. SRAM a new reason to call Riis "Mr. 60%".
I just saw an interview with a SRAM spokesman on VeloNews. The SRAM spokesman blames it on Andy.

He said that the chain suck/chain drop was caused by a bad choice of gears on Andy's part. Andy had the bike in a 39-12 gearing and was trying to shift under heavy load. So he was totally cross chained on the smaller cogs. This made it so the rear derailleur could not compensate fast enough during the shift, causing the chain suck and chain drop.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
enac said:
Why do you suggest that god had anything to do with reason Andy's chain came off when there are clearly better candidates to blame?
I was kind of hoping that this signaled a stronger candidate between the Catholic God and perhaps one of the Reformation Gods.

But unfortunately both Spain and Luxemborg are predominately Catholic. Perhaps God felt he needed to throw a bone Alberto's way because the Spanish Inqusition was so bad?
 

·
Albert Owen
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Schleck lost the Tour through:
1 - His own poor bike skills.
2 - Contador was below par and Schleck has improved.

Schleck got close because:
1 - Cancellara organised a "go slow" to allow him to get back on.
2 - Contador was below par and Schleck has improved.

I predict that Contador will resolve his problems and beat Andy by a much larger margin in next year's Tour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
enac said:
There are perfectly reasonable explanations as to why the "Chaingate" incident occurred-- without any need whatsoever to appeal to a supernatural power. How about the the team mechanic? Schleck himself, for changing gears under load?
Yeah, I don't understand. It was Schleck's fault he dropped his chain. He did the same thing in the TT yesterday but only slipped his gears rather than dropping his chain.
 

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
Joined
·
3,983 Posts
Apparently Andy was on a 38-12 gear and tried to shift to the 52
 

·
FroginOzzie
Joined
·
53 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Yeah, I don't understand. It was Schleck's fault he dropped his chain. He did the same thing in the TT yesterday but only slipped his gears rather than dropping his chain.
I don't know what he did in the TT but it was different.
In the TT, he was on the large chainring.
In the "chaingate", he was on a small ring-small cog crossline chain configuration when he shifted out of the saddle. I don't have a SRAM derailleur but if his chain is long enough to allow 53/25, it must be pretty loose in 39/11 or even 39/13 and it is not a surprise that the back of the derailleur blocks the chain.
Is this a mechanical problem or an operator error ?
 

·
You Phillip mah census
Joined
·
4,665 Posts
867-5309 said:
What you Contador apologists are missing is that can win the race and lose the brand. Who would buy a Contador signature frame? Imagine going on a "Alberto Contador tour of the Alps"...the rule being if you get a mechanical you are left behind. Contador cannot sell his image. Schlect has huge appeal. AC will not laugh all the way to the bank.
Is this pro cycling or pro marketing? Why don't you swap salaries with Contador and then b!tch about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
enac said:
Why do you suggest that god had anything to do with reason Andy's chain came off when there are clearly better candidates to blame??? There are perfectly reasonable explanations as to why the "Chaingate" incident occurred-- without any need whatsoever to appeal to a supernatural power. How about the the team mechanic? Schleck himself, for changing gears under load? Or better yet, Sram and the "human" designers of the product that happened to FAIL at that crucial moment in the race?

Giving thanks to a god for a chain coming off in a bike race is equally as stupid as that religous troll Pat Robertson blaming the 2010 Haitian earthquake on some sort of pact with the devil when a simple understanding of plate tectonics was all that was required.
Congrats, you completely missed the point.
 
61 - 74 of 74 Posts
Top