Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this, what do you think? I have a local LBS. It's a one man show. He's an ex pro from 30 years ago or so. The guy is 100% competent. I'm a Campy guy and he has "the" tool case. I need a wheel trued I walk in he does it. I need something he has it.
He charges an arm and a leg. Probably at least 50% more than elseware on parts. Labor heck, about the same. I'm happy to pay it. In my mind he deserves it. He's been doing this for decades. He's in it because he's a cyclist and lives and breaths bikes. Every Saturday and Sunday they meet at his shop and go for a ride, he included.
Plus he's an F1 fan and when I'm there on Saturday qualifying is on the TV.
Anyone here understand this?

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,799 Posts
Don't buy parts on a whim, plan ahead. Order what you need online or go somewhere else.

Support his wrenching skills by continuing to take your bike there for service.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I understand your post is a hard read.

please edit.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I do. I'm a die hard Campy and F1 fanboy. Both known for their uncompromising approach towards excellence. Was just at Montreal for Canadian GP. I build and service all my bikes myself and get *all* my Campy components online. If you have someone that knows his way around Campy and your bike, I'd stay with him.

P.S. there's been inquiries as to my forum name means, perhaps it'll be obvious to you.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
I need a wheel trued... He charges an arm and a leg... He's been doing this for decades...
truing a wheel is as easy as turning a nut.

a park tool spoke wrench costs $7 on ebay.

Anyone here understand this?
yeah, it's called "hoodwink."

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
P.S. there's been inquiries as to my forum name means, perhaps it'll be obvious to you.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
I'd assumed this

Tire Wheel Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
No I don't understand. Charging too much for routine service and watching cars race is just so esoteric. Way beyond what us commoners can grasp.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
The guy is 100% competent. I'm a Campy guy and he has "the" tool case. I need a wheel trued I walk in he does it. I need something he has it.
He charges an arm and a leg. Probably at least 50% more than elseware on parts. Labor heck, about the same.
As the saying goes:

1) Competent
2) Fast
3) Cheap

Pick two.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
You know, I've never understood this......I've been to many car shows, an at some point you come across just such a car, and you ask yourself; "Why would ANYBODY restore a '74 Nova????"
Back when I emigrated to Canada, (early '70's) on my very first day in Toronto we walked up Yonge St in the evening, which then had a sleazy small town main street vibe, and there were these guys in big block, jacked up Novas with their line-locs doing burnouts at the stop lights.

Now 40+ years later it's just old guys reliving their youth.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My main service guy is a one man shop. I get my bike back clean, perfect, tuned to perfection. He discounts parts to me, more than I could pay online but not full retail. It is worth the little bit more for the service and I like that he is a local small business. I have a shop at home and can do pretty much anything myself. I can afford not to and gives me more precious free time which I don't have enough of.
I would happily turn my own wrenches than pay silly money.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
You know, I've never understood this......I've been to many car shows, an at some point you come across just such a car, and you ask yourself; "Why would ANYBODY restore a '74 Nova????"
That's not a '74. It's somewhere between '69 and '72. Now, if it were a '75-'79, those were super ugly. Then again, most late 1970's American cars were super ugly.

And BTW, the Nova was a classic along the same category as the Ford Falcon and the immortal Dodge Dart/Plymouth Valiant.

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
Why do you care if anyone understands? You like the guy, you have things in common, he's a component wrench, and you are happy to support his business. You get to spend your time and money how you want, you don't need to justify it to any of us bozos on the internet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.