Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean permanently, but just for fun? Like 27.5 or even 26, just to see how far you could take it? (Assuming a disc road bike for simplicity.)

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Try it and let us know how far you get 2 plus inch tire in the frame. I'm betting the axle never gets close to the dropouts. Also google 'John Tomac cross country bike'. He raced a drop-bar xc bike for a while and did just fine with it.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, with 700C I can get 40 mm tires on my bike, so it might give me room to run a narrow mtn bike tire. My Envy made in America (Vietnam version) CX fork claims 48 mm clearance for a 700C, so I might have some room...

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Check what these guys have to say about conversions, you may find the information that you're looking for.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/650b$20conversion

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a closer look at my bike's seat stays:

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn, that might work...
I was thinking it won't. I have 40mm tires on there at the moment, with very little breathing room. (Those are 28mm in the photo.) I was thinking it widened linearly, and then I took a closer look at the seat stays -- they are almost parallel where the wheel on the smaller rim would land.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Don't you know anyone with a 26" or 27.5(650b) mountain bike who would let you slip the wheels in to see how they fit? If not, have you got an LBS that knows you well enough to let you try a set?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts