Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The builder was a racer turned frame builder in Italy. Faustino Godio was the proprieter, passed away circa 2001. There is a guy trying to sell me his NOS late 1980's Godio frameset but I've never heard of the brand. Can't even find anything on the web. The frame is beautiful and without a scratch. But the fact that it is so rare could be good and bad thing. Rare + good ride = A1. Rare because it sucked and couldn't survive on it's merits = fail. Any help here?

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
Two brothers...Godio and Franco from Borgomanero (IT). Godio continued building into the 1990s while he was 80 years old.

There are lots of small builders like this in Italy that are not known outside of their immediate areas.

I would day get the bike and you'll have something fairly unique.

·
Registered
2 Posts
His name was Spirito Godio not Faustino (I have original signature decals). He wasn't related to Gianni Franco, but Franco was his protege and took over his shop when he retired. He was still alive in 2003 by the way. I believe he died in 04-05 at age ~90. Here are pics of Franco, Godio, and some of his bikes, and Franco's shop. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157600517339632/with/639082091/ I didn't take the pics of them at the shop, my friend who brought over the bikes did. We restored the blue and red ones in our shop. The one you are trying to buy may be the one in our shop, if it is a white one. That one is a later one and was powder coated and has reproduction decals that I had made. Franco didn't make any frames, but Godio made some with his name on them until he finally retired about age 80.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
faustocopious said:
His name was Spirito Godio not Faustino (I have original signature decals). He wasn't related to Gianni Franco, but Franco was his protege and took over his shop when he retired. He was still alive in 2003 by the way. I believe he died in 04-05 at age ~90. Here are pics of Franco, Godio, and some of his bikes, and Franco's shop. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157600517339632/with/639082091/ I didn't take the pics of them at the shop, my friend who brought over the bikes did. We restored the blue and red ones in our shop. The one you are trying to buy may be the one in our shop, if it is a white one. That one is a later one and was powder coated and has reproduction decals that I had made. Franco didn't make any frames, but Godio made some with his name on them until he finally retired about age 80.
Yes it is the white one in your shop. I stopped by your shop and checked it out. It is very nice. Was this frame NOS or used and refurbished?

Have you ridden Godio frames before? How do you rate them compared to some of the other frames you have in your shop? I have my heart set on a Tommasini Tecno, a De Rosa Neo Primato, and an older Reparto Corse lugged TSXUL or EL OS Bianchi in Celeste. Any experience with these frames? David W. claimed these frames were not on par with the Godio.

I know that the frame has 126 rear spacing. Could I fit Campy 11 speed on it? Thanks Bob.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,269 Posts
The bike looks super-cool. BTW, my wife just put Campy Athena 11 on her 126 rear spaced early 1980's Pogliaghi and it works just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
white Godio

The white one was powder coated by someone DW sold it to, then the guy returned it and DW brought it to me. I have only ridden the blue one in my flickr site, this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/639279571/in/set-72157600517339632/

It is from the 60s though. Later ones had a more modern geometry. I think that one would ride just fine. Godio was no Masi or Cinelli but the frames are OK. Tommasini is probably a nicer frame. But few people will have seen a Godio if you like things that are unique.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
faustocopious said:
The white one was powder coated by someone DW sold it to, then the guy returned it and DW brought it to me. I have only ridden the blue one in my flickr site, this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/639279571/in/set-72157600517339632/

It is from the 60s though. Later ones had a more modern geometry. I think that one would ride just fine. Godio was no Masi or Cinelli but the frames are OK. Tommasini is probably a nicer frame. But few people will have seen a Godio if you like things that are unique.
thanks for your thoughts Bob. I figured that David was biased toward the Godio when he made his comment. Anyhow, as I have said, I really have my heart set on the three frames I mentioned and now I have found the Tommasini I want. I will get it sometime next week. Thanks again Bob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have the Turquoise bike pictured on your Flickr site in our shop in Charlottesville, VA. I was looking up info on the marque and found this post. Sychronicity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts