Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to figure out how to word this, but I'm looking at a bike with two forks--a carbon and the original steel threaded.

I would like to be able to switch between the forks, and was thinking if I used say a Chris King, I could use the Gripnut version for the threaded fork, the regular CK ahead set for the carbon, and the frame races (and even the top race) could be used with either fork.

I thought if I used a Velo Orange quill adapter, I could even use the same handlebars/shifters.

Comments or thoughts?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
that might work. But why do you want to be switching between forks?

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that might work. But why do you want to be switching between forks?
Sometimes the bike will be used for light touring and I would rather have the steel fork installed; also I have dreams of taking to classic events.

Carbon for trips when I know I will not be carrying anything but me.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Sometimes the bike will be used for light touring and I would rather have the steel fork installed; also I have dreams of taking to classic events.

Carbon for trips when I know I will not be carrying anything but me.
Heck man, just put the steel fork on and pretend that you don't have the plastic one. It ain't worth the weight savings and it'll probably ride better with the original steel fork anyways.

I tried a plastic fork on my De Rosa for a bit and, while it worked fine, it offered no advantage over the original fork. And it really uglied up a good looking bicycle.

The steel fork's been back for a coupla/few seasons and that plastic one's just been hangin' in the basement since.

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heck man, just put the steel fork on and pretend that you don't have the plastic one. It ain't worth the weight savings and it'll probably ride better with the original steel fork anyways.

I tried a plastic fork on my De Rosa for a bit and, while it worked fine, it offered no advantage over the original fork. And it really uglied up a good looking bicycle.

The steel fork's been back for a coupla/few seasons and that plastic one's just been hangin' in the basement since.
Funny you should say that--I have a crabon fork languishing in a closet somewhere too. My main ride does have a crabon fork that it came with, but I was really struck last year when I built up my Concorde (EL-OS) how lively the front end felt with a steel fork.

Maybe just the steel and sell off the cf fork...:idea:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.