Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fuji Team Super Lite has misaligned rear dropouts. Has anyone ever done this to their frame before? to an aluminum frame? Park makes a tool specifically for this (FFG-1) that can be seen here: http://www.parktool.com/tools/FFG_1.shtml

I think I will be able to do this procedure easily, but figured I would see if there are any specific tips for using this tool. I will go by the instructions on the park tool website.

thanks for any input

·
Registered
400 Posts
Don't think you can reset the dropouts on an aluminuml frame without causing a problem. Once aluminum has been heat treated or precipation hardened, it doesn't like being cold worked without cracking, which what you would be doing by straightening the dropouts.
If this is a new bike, take back or send back to the dealer and get it replaced. If you bought over Ebay then you can try and get your money back but an aluminum frame with bent dropouts is not good.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,566 Posts
If you're talking about the bolt on hanger, then yes, you can straighten it or replace it. If you're talking about the dropouts themselves, don't try.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Herms said:
My Fuji Team Super Lite has misaligned rear dropouts. Has anyone ever done this to their frame before? to an aluminum frame? Park makes a tool specifically for this (FFG-1) that can be seen here: http://www.parktool.com/tools/FFG_1.shtml

I think I will be able to do this procedure easily, but figured I would see if there are any specific tips for using this tool. I will go by the instructions on the park tool website.

thanks for any input
Many times. But with STEEL frames and forks (and a few Ti frames). But DON'T try it with an AL frame. With AL all you can really do is file the dropouts, which is a pretty crude method, and not really applicable in the situation you describe (this is more for cheap, misaligned AL frames). Send that frame back to Fuji.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I had a steel mountain bike frame that had uneven dropouts that I sent to Spicer to have coldset a couple years ago. it ended up being the entire rear triangle so maybe its not analagous to your situation, but he had to use alot of leverage to get it straight. I don't think you could do anything near what he did to an aluminum frame without issues. I wouldn't even try. call your fuji rep and tell him to look at it.

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
Per the other thread - how much are they off

Significant bends in aluminum are a bad deal, and trying to unbend them is a bad thing. However, your frame may be only off by a mm or two, which may not be any kind of an issue for straightening. Again, get with the best mechanic in your shop and look things over. Unless this is a really low end shop, they will have the insight you need. The questions you are asking suggest that you should not enter this task alone as a first time effort.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have done it on a Ti frame? The Park tool site specifically says that this should never and can't be done on a Ti or Carbon Fiber frame. It doesn't say anything about aluminum, and even shows pics of straightening alum. dropouts on the site.
Check it out: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FFG.shtml
It is able to be done because the aligning(bending) of the dropout doesnt bend the aluminum tubing but only bends the actual dropout surface that is connected to the seat and chainstays.
I contacted Fuji- they said it should be able to be done with this frame and to go ahead and try it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Is the frame rideable now?

If you can't ride the bike the way that it is, what have you got to lose? The actual realigning process isn't that big of a deal. On an aluminum frame, you run the risk of cracking the dropout, but so what? If you can't ride it now the frame is junk anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.