Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or should I just find a new place to work?
Where do I start. Ok so I have been working for this company for 3 years now and I have kind of found myself in the position as the primary residential door service tech. For the last year and a half I didn't have to deal with my office manager because I had a resi. sales guy I worked with directly. I had him trained not to walk me in to really bad jobs without a heads up and I mad shore his jobs worked with as few problems as possible. But the office manager really isn't interested in selling doors and only wants to do service. So every month or so my office manager would throw a fit and wipe out or schedule and hand me a service call for the day. And after the fit was over we would ago back to the way things were. About a month ago my sales guy quit because he was tired of the way the office worked and sick of braking sales records with out any recognition.
The office manager has decided to not replace him and to add the sales salary to his. The company owners run the head office an hour away and don't get involved in our office vary much so I have no idea what they know. My boss was supposed to lose his company truck because the owners decided he didn't need it just to drive back and forth from the office. But he found a way to hide it and is still driving it. We know is a scam because any time the owners come to talk to him he has to hide the truck. Either parking in an empty lot away from the office or driving his personal car in. He is totally no communicative he won't talk to costumers unless he has to. He will at times email me with names and numbers to call and set up service appointments. I am out in a service truck doing service and he is sitting in the office in front of a white board with a schedule laid out for 2 weeks. He won't order parts when we tell him jobs need them. Or when he does he won't call the costumer and tell them the part is and set up an appointment for service. He just gives us the ticket and we show up at a house with no one home. There is way way more then I can really go in to here. But the worst part is he plays farmer on the weekends and is using the shop to slaughter pigs. He's throwing the parts he doesn't want in the dumpster behind the shop that he only has picked up 2 or 3 times a year. So I will let you wonder just what it smells like right now. And he's selling the pigs he's slaughtering I know thats big time illegal. I have no Idea if the owners know any of this.

I can't really come up with a diplomatic way to bring up any of this because of how he's acted when confronted with some of this stuff in meetings in the past.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Time for a visit with the owners. As an owner, I would want to know if someone was effectively stealing from me.

This guy seems like an arse and will most definitely not change. What do you have to lose, except maybe possible physical intimidation outside of the workplace (because he seems like the kind of guy who would).

What do the doors have to do with a pig business?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Time for a visit with the owners. As an owner, I would want to know if someone was effectively stealing from me.

This guy seems like an arse and will most definitely not change. What do you have to lose, except maybe possible physical intimidation outside of the workplace (because he seems like the kind of guy who would).

What do the doors have to do with a pig business?
Some of us have talked about going to the owners. But we don't know how it would go they do some shady stuff too. The only reason I am still here is because I make close to twice what I would make working for other companies doing the same job.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Some of us have talked about going to the owners. But we don't know how it would go they do some shady stuff too. The only reason I am still here is because I make close to twice what I would make working for other companies doing the same job.
Alright, well that changes things and my recommendation. I was under the impression that owners are clueless and this guy comes across as an altar boy when they're around. Has he worked there forever and then some?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Welcome to the service world.

You and I are the turds at the bottom of the septic tank.

Your non-performing manager has found a way to do minimal work leaving you to close all the holes and deal with all the customers.

Unless you think the owners already know what the manager is doing and approve of it or are in cahoots with him, then consider saying something.

But first, start taking photos of the pigs in the dumpster or better yet; purchase and install your own security camera to capture it all. Same with the Hide-A-Truck game he's playing. And keep a diary. Document job ticket numbers, dates, times, photo copy tickets and receipts, everything. But don't just dump it all on the owners' laps. Tell them the story and wait until they ask for proof. Perhaps check with a labor lawyer; most will give a free initial consultation. Ask them if you would be covered under whistleblower laws.

Prepare to walk or be fired. But you can leave with your dignity and values in tact. And I'd make that known as I exit out the door if it happens.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, well that changes things and my recommendation. I was under the impression that owners are clueless and this guy comes across as an altar boy when they're around. Has he worked there forever and then some?
Yea 10 years from what I'm told. What i'm afraid of is they would just close the office if we went to them.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im wondering what would happen if some one called the USDA and told them what he was doing with the pigs.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
I've gotten a bad boss fired. But for changing a boss... would you try and change your wife?

Seems like your statement "The only reason I am still here is because I make close to twice what I would make working for other companies doing the same job." sums it up pretty well.

Yes, you have a bad boss, but are paid well to deal with it. If you weren't well compensated for it, I'd say get a new job or try and get him fired. Your odds of getting him fired are small because the owners don't sound all that great either.

The local health department might want to know about that dumpster.

·
half-fast
7,387 Posts
Just find a new job and move on.

It's not worth the toll it is taking on you.

Also

Something something, wrestling a pig, etc.

·
Super Moderator
40,812 Posts
Im wondering what would happen if some one called the USDA and told them what he was doing with the pigs.
More fun still (and illegal as hell, so this suggestion is for entertainment purposes only); anonymously report there are "dead body parts" at the address (technically true), and suggest that they may be from local Satanic cult's Black Masses, or possibly disposed waste from an area abortion clinic.

Bonus points if it makes the evening news.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
I would go with the anonymous call to all the local environmental agencies / authorizes and even the local new media. sit back play, dumb and watch the chips fall... heck you my still come out with job or they closed the place down, what do have to lose.... your already miserable, save your self and future health issue that arise from suppressed stress.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I would just arrange to have him killed.........(Don't go cheap, hire somebody that has done it before)

Reactions: MoonHowl

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you are a witness to fraud and you do nothing, you are also a fraud.

If you truly decide that it is worth making more $ to deal with this s**t, then you just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I would just arrange to have him killed.........(Don't go cheap, hire somebody that has done it before)
This is solid advice. Sometime you need to pay extra to make sure the job is done right. The lowest bidder isn't always the best deal

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are a witness to fraud and you do nothing, you are also a fraud.

If you truly decide that it is worth making more $ to deal with this s**t, then you just have to deal with it.
I wish I could be that black and white. We had a talk today and no one feels like they trust the owners enough to come forward with out getting fired. Odd world we live in when you have to think about your job when you want to tell the company owners someone is ripping them off. I just have way too much to lose right now and no place to go if I did get fired. I think the plain is to work on starting my own company and working to back away from this place as soon as I can.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Anonymous tip off about body parts stinking the place up to the sanitation department. Another anonymous tip to the food and safety regulators about illegal meat sales. Sit back and hopefully watching him squirm will make your job more bearable. I don't see why the owners would be happy with paying a salary to an incompetent tosser. If you are on really good money then chances are he is on even better and they aren't getting value for it. Start planning for a new job just the same.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,140 Posts
Are you sure they're pig parts in the dumpster?

He might be a serial killer and they're human parts!

Best drop a dime on him, just in case.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
a very good friend used to work in the Homestead Division of US Steel in Pittsburgh (back when steel was still made in the USA) He tells a story about a HORRIFIC boss they just plain got even with. They threw a line in the Monongahela River next to the mill (one of the dirtiest, highly polluted rivers ever) and caught a great big ole carp. They broke into the guys car at the beginning or a double shift one day and slid it under the seat. After 16 hours, incubating in the hot sun.....well, use your imaginations. You seem to have just about all the resources you need from the dumpster!

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
a very good friend used to work in the Homestead Division of US Steel in Pittsburgh (back when steel was still made in the USA) He tells a story about a HORRIFIC boss they just plain got even with. They threw a line in the Monongahela River next to the mill (one of the dirtiest, highly polluted rivers ever) and caught a great big ole carp. They broke into the guys car at the beginning or a double shift one day and slid it under the seat. After 16 hours, incubating in the hot sun.....well, use your imaginations. You seem to have just about all the resources you need from the dumpster!
that is like fish guts blended in a blender and then poured into the heater inlet vents. Not that I've ever been party to such an action.

·
Super Moderator
40,812 Posts
The oil drained from a can of sardines or anchovies, poured onto the engine block, has a similar, but subtler, effect--the driver will get a whiff of something "off" from time to time, as the engine heats up and bakes that oil into the casting, but will, maddeningly for them, likely never be able to track down the source.

(Never mind how I know.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts