Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bought a set of Race SLs and installed the cassette and tires, but I haven't ridden them yet because it keeps snowing a foot every week or so.

They seem high quality, but I can't say much until I ride 'em.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I rode them yesterday on my first road ride of the season. :D

They are 735 grams lighter than the oem bontragers (including tires, cassette, skewers) and that is very apparent when riding them.

The hubs are really smooth and the when you lift the bike and spin the wheels with your hand they spin longer than the old ones with no visible runout at the brake shoes.

The only potential downside, which i don't mind, is that the freehub is loud when coasting.

If you're still trying to decide... buy 'em, I think you'll like 'em!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put 70 miles on the ROl SL wheels, 65 miles of rolling terrain and 5 miles of climbing this past Saturday.These wheels are stiff and spin up fast and roll forever, they also are not affected by crosswinds. If you end up buying these I would recommend running them at 90-95 psi as 100 made them too stiff imo.

They are deinitely built with quality products,sapim cx-ray spokes,DT Swiss Pro lock nipples,japanese EZO cartridge bearings on a 23mm wide rim. That being said you could probably save $150 and get about the same wheel from a custom builder using Kinlin or Blackset rims.

I don't love them as much as my Dura Ace 7850 SL wheels but they are very niceand I don't think you would be disappointed if you plunked down the cash for them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you end up buying these I would recommend running them at 90-95 psi as 100 made them too stiff imo.
I'm curious, are you running 23mm or 25mm tires?

I'm running Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons in 25mm and I did 80 psi front and 100 psi rear based on the recommendation of this web site - Bicycle tire pressure calculator (using the total bike 45% / 55% option and then reducing the back because it said 80/118 originally and 118 seemed really high to me.)

I'm going to drop them down 5 psi each for my next ride and see how they feel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for comments.

I spoke to Sean from Rol for about half an hour about his wheels. He is a straight shooter and knows his stuff, a really nice guy. I may pull the trigger on the D'Huez wheels, Sean was excited about the new rim on the D'Huez. The hubs are new and designed for Rol. The only thing is the price range can also get you a nice custom wheel set.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Picked up a set of D'Huez wheels in October. They are the 2013 23mm wide rims. Big improvement in ride comfort and weight. Run 90 to 95lbs. Over 1000 miles so far without issue. Very pleased.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YZ 343:

The D'Huez is what I am thinking to get. How is the rim? I plan to ride some gravel roads and would like to know if they are solid. Have you tried the tubeless option?
thanks

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just ordered a set of the Race SL last week, shipped Friday. I'm replacing the rather lackluster stock Fulcrum Racing 6 set that came on my Specialized Tarmac.

I was pretty torn between the Race and D'Huez, at 6' 170 lbs I could have bought either set. I sent Rol an email on a Sat a few weeks ago and was not expecting a reply until Mon...to my surprise, I received a response on Sun. Great response time! If their customer service is anything like that, it will be great.

In the email, he told me what I had pretty much guessed, the Race would be better at >20mph and the D'Huez lighter and better climbers. Don't get me wrong, living in a river bed, there plenty of nasty, man eating hills around here and I don't shy from them...but as much as ill take on a cat5 or better climb, I don't want that misery to be my forte.

I figured the Race would work better for now. I opted for the Conti 4000s tires as well for the additional $105.'again, they'll be better than the stock one Specialized chucked on the bike.

Either way, the wheels come in Tue, I have a new Ultegra 11-28 cassette to pop on them and hopefully ill be out on them in a week. Ill post here again once I have time to grind on them a bit.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The wheels arrived last night...and so far I'm impressed with the fit and finish. I love the minimalist approach. In this world of "LOOK AT ME!!!" Wheels, they are nice and clean. The logo is reflective and really shines in the correct light. Spoke tension seems spot on and they really do spin forever. They come with Ritchey rim "tape" and skewers (which are a bit heavy but really well made and nice looking). I'm sorry to say that I don't yet have a scale so all I can say is my "arm scale" tells me they are plenty light.

Sadly, they forgot to include the Conti 4000s tires I bought which is the main reason I'm posting again right now. I sent them an email around 6 pm and literally, within an hour, I received a phone call. They were insanely apologetic and told me they'll send out the tires via priority mail today.

During the conversation he said he hoped he wasn't holding up a ride or anything to which I replied I wasn't 100% DOA figuring I had the stocker and rather lackluster Fulcrum Racing 6 wheels my Tarmac came with...he let out a humorous groan and apologized that I still had to ride on them...he was an extremely friendly guy.

If their customer service is anything like this in the future and their wheels ride as good as the seem to be built, they have made a lifelong customer of me...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Well...got the wheels and tubes in today! The folks at ROL were even kind enough to chuck in two free water bottles for my "trouble"...awesome as i am a water bottle junkie.

Got everything mounted and ready to go. Taking the bike in to my LBS to get some adjustments made...and I'm switching from a Tiagra chain to an Ultegra figuring I went with a Ultegra cassette. (I don't have a chain breaker). I'm going to schedule a professional fit too while I'm at it...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Here's a pic of them mounted.

I got the bike back yesterday so I only had a short time to ride on them. Dropping almost a lb between a lighter set of wheels, cassette and chain definitely made the bike more "peppy". I need more time and a better ride than the short 2 mile sprint I took last night to really tell but I can say the grip is good and the stiffness of the wheels is apparent. They also spin up quickly...again, this could be from dropping weight, I don't know. The hubs...as is the case with most modern wheels, are pretty stinking loud, I'm going to have to get used to it. The Fulcrum hubs were loud...but I'm sure these are louder. I'm also pretty sure that I won't have to notify as many walkers on the bike trail this year thanks to those puppies. :)

I gotta say, I do love the understated look of the wheels...and the logos "pop" when in direct light...makes them look very sharp.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
They look great.

You'll get used to the free hub sound. Besides, how often are you coasting anyway??
LOL...yeah, I guess it depends on the ride and the gas in my tank that day.

Anoter note...those Sapim spokes are seriously nice...EXTREMELY thin and aero. I noticed it the first time I looked down the wheel length wise and they nearly disappeared. Pretty impressive considering how tough I've read they are.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
wow.

WOW!!!

It is amazing what a difference these wheels/tires make! Not only do these wheels spin up fast, the hold hold speed like crazy. I went out tonight on a full days work (electrician), a crap nights sleep and still set a PR on not only a cat 5 climb, but picked up an additional +1.5mph average on a personal "short" 10 mile route I save for when I don't have much time. A route I've ridden a ton of times. Again...this was on tired legs too.

The ride is way smoother than the Fulcrum/Specialized tire set I had before...almost unbelievably so.

Time will tell if the quality of longevity is there but so far...I am sold, the difference is HUGE. GREAT WHEELS!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.