Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would say that I've been suitbably humbled by the results of my first road race at age 49, but to be honest, I never had unrealistic expectations to begin with. 12 riders in Cat 5 40-49 and I finished 7th. I did manage to pass a few riders but was disappointed I didn't pass more.

Having said that, I'm now hoping to abuse myself further by entering the Tour de Toona in July 2006. I currently have questions and would appreciate your help.

First, is there a Cat 5 NOVICE? I've looked at the Tour website and it doesn't mention a novice class but the BikeReg site does.

Second, if there is a Cat 5 novice, has anyone ridden it?

Third, does the course change from year to year? I think last year's website has maps of the course and I'd like to do a couple of practice rides.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Late site?

Looks like the organizers are a bit late with putting up the 2006 web site. Try this email address [email protected] and ask questions.

Not sure what you mean by "Cat 5/Novice". Category 5 is, in fact, the novice class for licensed racers. However, I can see how new riders can easily get confused or intimidated by two common issues that have plagued Category 5 racing: combining Cat 5 and Cat 4 riders in one race, and having to ride against experienced Cat 5 riders who refuse to upgrade (jokingly called "Cat 5 Pro" riders.) There were some changes made in the USCF rule book for 2006 to discourage combining categories and encourage Cat 5 Pros to upgrade (rule 1F5 and rule 1G6), but it's probably too little, too late to have much of an effect.

I'm just guessing here, but there may be some events which offer unlicensed "novice" racing. That's something you probably want to stay away from. Good luck and train hard - 'Toona is tough racing, even in the Cat 5 races.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
AnotherRedRyder said:
I would say that I've been suitbably humbled by the results of my first road race at age 49, but to be honest, I never had unrealistic expectations to begin with. 12 riders in Cat 5 40-49 and I finished 7th. I did manage to pass a few riders but was disappointed I didn't pass more.

Having said that, I'm now hoping to abuse myself further by entering the Tour de Toona in July 2006. I currently have questions and would appreciate your help.

First, is there a Cat 5 NOVICE? I've looked at the Tour website and it doesn't mention a novice class but the BikeReg site does.

Second, if there is a Cat 5 novice, has anyone ridden it?

Third, does the course change from year to year? I think last year's website has maps of the course and I'd like to do a couple of practice rides.

Thanks in advance for your help.
A simple search for "toona" on bikereg.com would have netted you this helpful listing: http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=3365

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
I've looked at the Tour website and it doesn't mention a novice class but the BikeReg site does.
Apparently the OP did look at the BikeReg site before he posted, but was confused (as I am) by the BikeReg header "Novice / Cat 5 Races" Anybody know what a "Novice / Cat 5 Race" is?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Toona:
Stage Race:
P1/2: Weeklong stage race based on time

Points Race:
Cats 2,3 and 4
3 days of racing with GC scoring based on points

Cat 5 race:
Really short RR and Crit. The RR is 20 miles and goes over 1 climb and the crit is the same course that everyone else uses but is really short (7 miles I think). No GC scoring I believe.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Cat 5 race:
Really short RR and Crit. The RR is 20 miles and goes over 1 climb and the crit is the same course that everyone else uses but is really short (7 miles I think). No GC scoring I believe.
Thanks!

Looks like the "Novice" notation on the BikeReg site is just sloppy writing/editing.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
wim said:
Thanks!

Looks like the "Novice" notation on the BikeReg site is just sloppy writing/editing.
yeah, considering that Cat 4 is, I believe, considered the Novice class -- Cats 1,2,3 are the Senior categories, Cat 4 is Novice, and Cat 5 is the numbered designation which used to be "Citizens." I don't know why they changed it.

Toona is a hoot. I did it three years ago as a Cat 4. Cat 4's beware -- every Cat 4 in the danged thing is all but a 3, and lots of 4's make it their last race before their upgrade, but it's still a hoot. I think that for 5's that year they had only the crit, which I missed anyway because I had to leave.

The best thing about Toona is that the town is really up for it. You are not treated as a second class anything. It is very well run, the town is friendly, pro's are everywhere -- it's a lot of fun.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
wim said:
Apparently the OP did look at the BikeReg site before he posted, but was confused (as I am) by the BikeReg header "Novice / Cat 5 Races" Anybody know what a "Novice / Cat 5 Race" is?
It's a novice/cat 5 race. I guess I don't see where the point of contention is. If you are a category 5 man, you are a novice, this is your race.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
There's was no point of contention, just some mild confusion. Because of BikeReg's wording, the OP wondered if there was a "Cat. 5 Novice" apart from just plain "Cat. 5." The question makes sense - even if is partly based on wishful thinking. As we now know, there is no "Cat. 5 Novice."

BTW, it was clear to me that the OP had gone to the BikeReg website before he posted. Your "simple search would have netted . . ." comment made me think you didn't read his post carefully enough. Perhaps I was wrong, and my post was contentious. If it was, I apologize.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
wim said:
There's was no point of contention, just some mild confusion. Because of BikeReg's wording, the OP wondered if there was a "Cat. 5 Novice" apart from just plain "Cat. 5." The question makes sense - even if is partly based on wishful thinking. As we now know, there is no "Cat. 5 Novice."

BTW, it was clear to me that the OP had gone to the BikeReg website before he posted. Your "simple search would have netted . . ." comment made me think you didn't read his post carefully enough. Perhaps I was wrong, and my post was contentious. If it was, I apologize.
Maybe I didn't read his post carefully enough. I'm a little hopped up on percoset thanks to a bad crash last week. Does it matter if I did or didn't, though? Yes, I think your post was contentious. Perhaps mine was too, because I simply don't understand the confusion about "Cat. 5 Novice". The race is fairly popular here and no one has ever questioned their terminology (which I think they used last year). Plenty of races are called Novice/Cat 5, so I suppose around these parts we think Cat 5's are Novices.

Anyway, that's well beside the point. The OP gets it now, so everything's fine and dandy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.