Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
My Italian isn't what it once was but here goes. I assume that you don't wan't the fluff or the descriptions. Just the judgements.

Quick and agile. Power is translated to the road without flex. You feel the lateral rigidity when you climb, or when the slope gets steep. It is pleasing to pedal. It is precise in the curves. The frame tubes and the design of the fork absorb every vibration generated from the asphalt.

In conclusion, aggressive but comfortable. Good for all kinds of racing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i am by no means fluent, but i'll take a crack at it (ive taken nearly a year of college italian now) this is very chopped up and summarized, and way over 3 sentances. heres the best I got.

intro blurb:
from the grassroots movement comes the king zing, a carbon bike. the components are very nice. the bike is reactive and brilliant, the quality is evident of work of the best ______ (sopratutto le ...)
first paragraph:
its an italian carbon bike, named king zing. something about jacob heilbron wanting to build a better bike for climbing or mountains or something like that. jacob heilbron born into cycling (i think?)
second paragraph:
it starts talking about the goemetry, the words classic and race geometry are both used, but i got lost and couldn't get the context.

in conclusion, its an italian carbon bike, not sure of geo, has high end components and is of the best quality.....hope this helps

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well I was born in Italy, grew up in Italy but now i live in Australia. I think i'm qualified!!

All carbon frame which was realised in collaboration with Dedacciai. The geometry is of a slightly sloping nature.

The geometry is agressive yet comfortable.

It climbing abilitiy is its main strength

It is highly responsive

No undesirable flex in the bottom bracket

The oversized fork and rear triangle render this a most comfortable bike.

It's price does not make it overly accessible.

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
A bit more than 3 lines...

I am quite familiar with these "Ciclismo" articles.
Overall, I would say they give the frame a very good rating, but not spectacular.
The primary qualities they point out are the light weight and quick, agile handling.
The primary concern is front-end flex, especially under braking, due perhaps to slightly undersized tubing, especially in the head tube area.
They tested a 56, with different componentry than the catalog model.

Here is a synopsis:

THE ROAD ACCORDING TO KONA

From fat tires to asphalt. The "King zing" offers a carbon-fiber racing frame with simple lines, truly a new development for the Canadian brand. The componentry is all high-zoot. On the road the bicycle is reactive and spirited, due to its light weight, which improves especially its climbing capabilities.

Text by Francesco Baroni

Kona, a well-known and appreciated mtb brand, has always kept an eye on the road bike market, even if only marginally. Kona's founder Jacob Hellbron in fact comes from a road racing background. This year the North American builder decided to completely revamp their lineup with products of high quality, across all performance and budget levels. The bike we tested is called the "King zing", which is the flagship model of the road line, and is targeted at those who take their cycling seriously.

Italian Full carbon-fiber
summary
Full carbon-fiber frame, realized in collaboration with Dedacciai.
Slightly sloping geometry.
Oversized bottom bracket area.
Wishbone seatstays.
Carbon-fiber fork.
Frame/fork combined weight = 1.6kg (size 56) (NB: this is claimed weight of course)

“Custom” FSA components
summary
FSA Plasma bars
FSA RD-800 wheelset (38mm deep carbon-fiber rims, tubulars)
FSA K-Force crankset, compact, 50/34
FSA C-16 compact front derailleur
Shimano Ultegra-10
This is the tested version: apparently the sale version typically comes with Shimano Dura-Ace, FSA 53/39 crankset, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL’s, and the Selle Italia Slr Kit carbonio saddle (which the reviewers don’t like)

Toughness in abundance
summary
Impressions:
Extremely well-made
Stiff, quick and agile
Stable and comfortable

A Racing Machine (this is the first blue text box)
summary
Standard Geometry
The "King zing" is available in 6 measurements, from 49 to 60. The sloping geometry is important, but not overdone; positioning the saddle is still very easy.
Finish Quality
Beautiful.
Construction
Quality top-shelf components.
Shimano Ultegra-10 helps contain costs, while providing top-level performance.
Price/Quality ratio
The price of this tested bike is not determined, since it was customized for this occasion.
The catalog version ((mentioned above) will cost Euro 4,900.

Our Conclusions
The Kona "King zing" is a bicycle well-suited to many, but not to all: the price is fairly high. On the road, however, there is nothing to say: the bicycle is aggressive and comfortable, and capable of great performance. The provision of the compact crankset renders the bike capable of performing on all road types.
Agile and Light (this is the last blue text box)
The “King zing” is a frame with clean, classical lines. Interestingly Kona, traditionally noted for more “radical” design solutions, has opted here for a fairly traditional road machine.
The testing was satisfactory, especially regarding the light weight of the bicycle. Only the braking test left some doubt; probably a more “muscular” head tube would have better contained the lateral flex demonstrated.
The pedaling test, instead, was very linear, with a final deformation value, at the extreme (i.e. sprint loading) of 5.6mm. This figure is among the best, demonstrating the racing soul of the :”King zing”. There was flex noted in the seatpost, which tends to “wave” a bit, obviously the result of the frame size and of the fairly open geometry. Under braking, as we noted, the reaction of the front end is a bit “long”. The tube diameters, all things considered relatively under-sized, perhaps could be reconsidered in order to give more “character” to the fork, especially at the head tube. However this would affect the weight of the frame, a number near and dear to the hearts of cyclists.

HTH.

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
CC09 said:
[snip....
intro blurb:
from the grassroots movement comes the king zing....[snip]
"ruote grasse" does not mean "grassroots"; it means "fat tires".

The writer is describing Kona's evolution from (primarily) mtb to this road frame.
From fat tires to asphalt.

HTH.

G

·
I know a number of the original "North Shore" guys, including Derek Bailey, Paul Brodie and Jacob Hellbron.

I remember at the beginning of the year when I saw a copy of the pre press catalogue I asked him the price of that bike.

I thought he was NUTS.

The bike rides well for CF on a short test ride but I can't get my head around the price.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thanks for the translation guys! Excellent. Thank you!

toomanybikes, I agree with you on the price...I think that's gonna deter the potential market of cyclists like a brick wall. I believe that it is a superb, high-quality bike, but I think those who have that much to spend on a new bike would feel like they would be taking one heck of a gamble with jumping into the "unknown" of buying a Kona. I wonder what Jake could've done to pare down that cost to something more reasonable.

·
Soul Mining
390 Posts
toomanybikes said:
The bike rides well for CF on a short test ride but I can't get my head around the price.

It's a bit mad considering that one can purchase any number of carbon bikes with a similar spec for less than that. Kona has a great presence in mountain biking, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one their road bikes if the price is exorbitant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.