Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to kick around quality of life, lifestyle, cycling stuff with you. PM me.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Not from there, but...

I have friends from the Fayetville area who returned there after education/a few years in the big city. I have been there, and I love it.

I'm sure the cost-of-living data is available, but it struck me as being a cheap place to live. My impression was that Fayetville was a progressive, educated place - it felt like the midwestern college towns I'm familiar with. It is certainly a naturally beautiful place.

How can you not love a state with Ivory-billed Woodpeckers?

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
close, once

jtolleson said:
I'd like to kick around quality of life, lifestyle, cycling stuff with you. PM me.
I lived in Carthage, Missouri, a while back, close to Arkansas. Great area if you like fishing, boating, and now country music (at Branson). Rolling hills and lots of trees. Fairly low cost of living compared to many areas of the country. Plenty of ******** in pickups and motorhomes, as you might guess -- not exactly an ideal area for cycling.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
jtolleson said:
Julie,

Regular contributor "Phil." is in NW ARK. Silioam Springs (sp?) I think. Send him a PM.

I've read but not ridden the suggested tours on the tourism site here
http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/Biking/

I've also lurked through this forum on occasion
http://pub69.ezboard.com/bbikearkansasmessageboard

My parents live near Eureka Springs, but I've never brought the bike on my visits.
(as I re-call you were one of the people that recommended I not try :) )

Scot

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Easier said than done.

Scotty2Hotty said:
If you make $100k and own your own home in Evanston, you'd only need to make $55k to maintain your lifestyle in Fayetteville.

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html
My lifestyle includes weekly shopping for my Indian groceries at Patel Bros. on Devon. I don't know how I could maintain that in Fayetville.

If it weren't for the little things, being a hick would be awesome.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jtolleson said:

Great leads, everyone.

My folks moved to Fay-ville in 1998, and I've been very impressed when visiting. It seems pretty, progressive, and most importantly, SMALLER than Denver. I'm really sick of the city, but I've always figured that professionally and socially it would not be in the cards for me to be in a smaller community.

Now I'm stewing. Scotty2Hotty, that's a cool site! Shows about a 25% lower cost of living in Fay-ville over Denver.

Biking stuff is kinda cool too. But as Doug noted, the roads are not the most biking friendly.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
My lifestyle includes weekly shopping for my Indian groceries at Patel Bros. on Devon. I don't know how I could maintain that in Fayetville.

If it weren't for the little things, being a hick would be awesome.
You'd also have to give up the 10lb Dengeos burgers...

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Actually I live in Fort Smith, have posted a ride report though from Siloam once or twice. Went to college in Fayetteville. PM on the way to jtolleson

·
gazing from the shadows
27,209 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:

Avalon Nutrition & Indian Food (479) 582-9158 - 1388 N College Avenue - Fayetteville, AR

Don't ask me about the selection, which is probably not as extensive as you are used to, but it is there.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,209 Posts
jtolleson said:
I'm really sick of the city, but I've always figured that professionally and socially it would not be in the cards for me to be in a smaller community.
Generally college towns are good places. Lots of education, and services for those with education. Madison is often ranked as one of the best places to live in the nation, and one of the best places to retire, believe it or not. There are exceptions and wide variations of course. Iowa City is great (U of Iowa), Ames blows (Iowa State).

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
jtolleson said:
Great leads, everyone.

My folks moved to Fay-ville in 1998, and I've been very impressed when visiting. It seems pretty, progressive, and most importantly, SMALLER than Denver. I'm really sick of the city, but I've always figured that professionally and socially it would not be in the cards for me to be in a smaller community.

Now I'm stewing. Scotty2Hotty, that's a cool site! Shows about a 25% lower cost of living in Fay-ville over Denver.

Biking stuff is kinda cool too. But as Doug noted, the roads are not the most biking friendly.
Be sure and go canoeing on the Buffalo River. My uncle was a park ranger there. Great, beautiful place. Just watch out for the copperheads!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Sintesi said:
Be sure and go canoeing on the Buffalo River. My uncle was a park ranger there. Great, beautiful place. Just watch out for the copperheads!
And watch out for extinct woodpeckers too !!!!!!!!

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Scot_Gore said:
And watch out for extinct woodpeckers too !!!!!!!!
That's right! Poisonous snakes and Ivory Billed wood peckers. That's pretty special right there. Oh yeah caves. If you like caves Arkansas is the state for you.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Sintesi said:
That's right! Poisonous snakes and Ivory Billed wood peckers. That's pretty special right there. Oh yeah caves. If you like caves Arkansas is the state for you.
We did the tour of War Eagle Cavern around Thanksgiving. It was interesting getting a cave tour from a guide who believes that the Earth is only about 10,000 years old (as old as creation). Most things he showed in the cave that likley took 100,000 years to get that way were explained with alternative explanations or simply pointed out as formations without trying to explain how they got that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts