Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing intervals today and my power meter unpaired with my Garmin for like 10 seconds.

I looked at my lap average fall as the zeroes were recorded. I used this as motivation to still reach my power goal for the lap, even with the zeroes recorded (ex. I was holding 400w and the unpairing dragged it down to 390 so I went 410 for a while to bring it back up).

When I looked at the lap average on my garmin, it was 15 watts less than what Strava showed it as under "laps".

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

The same is true when using multiple ride applications. Pick your poison and stick with it.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Stages? Happens to me when I do 500w for 5 min every single time dude.
I kid about the wattage of course. But Stages is known to have this issue due to its battery door. Anyway you didn't say what powermeter you have so

·
Belgian
33 Posts
If it's Stages you could always try to fit a very small piece between the battery and the cover. Might just be a bad contact as they are known for it.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Yeah. Yesterday, after I finished my 100 mile warm up, I decided to do some easier intervals. 30 minutes into my fourth 500 watt interval, my PM dropped the ant+ signal. Total bummer. I would have been glad to link my strava. But, it totally lost my 20,000 kilojoule recovery ride.
Why are you doing intervals at my FTP?

I own 500 watts and have it trademarked.

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
Touche RBR... I post a reference to 300w and it's weak ****.
That never happened. I did comment that rounding your supposed 380 FTP down to 300 is hilarious.

I post a reference to 400w and I'm bragging or full of ****.
That never happened either. The only "reference" you've posted is simply stating that you've cycled at 400w power for 20 minutes. An actual reference would be what spade2you has now asked for twice... a reputable source of this ride... not a tiny jpg of 5 numbers.

Still a funny thread. Thanks for the laugh.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That never happened. I did comment that rounding your supposed 380 FTP down to 300 is hilarious.

That never happened either. First, the only "reference" you've posted is simply stating that you've cycled at 400w power for 20 minutes. An actual reference would be what spade2you has now asked for twice... a reputable source of this ride... not a tiny jpg of 5 numbers.

Still a funny thread. Thanks for the laugh.
Your reading comprehension is abhorrent. I didn't say "I was rounding down", I said "USING ROUND NUMBERS".

I'm not going to post GPS data to my house/work/etc for the world to see just to prove something that doesn't even matter for purposes of this discussion.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actual power numbers have little to do with the issue. Same question - no power - Has anyone noticed that even when using the same ride and power meter strava and garmin display different average power for intervals?

Now, for your power numbers. I don't think anyone ever said 300 watts steady state is weak.

400 watts is within the realm of reality (about 4 w/kg for you). I believe 4 w/kg V02 intervals. 4 w/kg is not an easy or regular ftp number. Even with 4w/kg v02 type intervals, you are at the pointed end of most faster/racer oriented group rides. If you get dropped more than very occasionally and not until after a bunch of other people, I question 4w/kg*.

*These thought are of course tempered with a bit of ymmv, imho.

One questions you numbers simply b/c your posts seem to inflate expected reality. I have similar power numbers as you, but weigh 60 pounds less and am at least 8 inches shorter. I don't do 20 mph "recovery" rides, nor do I cruise around at average speeds of 22-23 mph (both of which you have recently claimed to do). A week ago you posted about a 200 w ftp that you improved to 300 watts. You also wrote about 320 watt 5 or 6 minute intervals. Now, you are busting out 400+ watts?

The take away is that if you want to tell everyone how awesome you are, realize you may get called out.
I made it clear in the other thread I was pulling numbers out of thin air for illustration purposes. I didn't even own a power meter when my FTP would have been anywhere in the 200's. My first FTP test ever (June 2015) was well into the 300's.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Not sure if it's tied to the same thing, but Garmin and Strava use different maths to work out Normalized Power. I think Garmin's is based on the Training Peaks formula, Strava have to use their own variation as they don't have the license. My average and max power is always the same between the two (using Stages) but NP is always different (Strava is lower). If no PM is present, Strava uses other calculations based on the weight you enter in your profile, not sure about Garmin in that respect, haven't looked into it.

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
Ha ha, that's rich. So it's normal to use the round number 300 to describe your FTP, which you stated earlier was 380. Was 400 not available? Seems like you're saying you just rode at that power so using 300 is odd. Which is all I said.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stages? Happens to me when I do 500w for 5 min every single time dude.
I kid about the wattage of course. But Stages is known to have this issue due to its battery door. Anyway you didn't say what powermeter you have so
If it's Stages you could always try to fit a very small piece between the battery and the cover. Might just be a bad contact as they are known for it.
Stages. I pulled out the thing that touches the battery for stronger contact. Seems to have helped but I still get periods of zero recorded power.

A small piece of what between the battery and door?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I was doing intervals today and my power meter unpaired with my Garmin for like 10 seconds.

I looked at my lap average fall as the zeroes were recorded. I used this as motivation to still reach my power goal for the lap, even with the zeroes recorded (ex. I was holding 400w and the unpairing dragged it down to 390 so I went 410 for a while to bring it back up).

When I looked at the lap average on my garmin, it was 15 watts less than what Strava showed it as under "laps".
I think this is a difference with how Garmin vs. Strava is calculating the wattage. There may be a bug where if the watts stop showing up in the file it excludes it from the calculation as opposed to giving it a 0 value.

Post the Garmin files or it's just talk.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/#activity/832645066

I once did 4w/kg for a little more than an hour up a mountain. I was not cruising and I felt like I might die. Weight was about 119lbs/54kg.
And 4W/kg is supposed to be impressive? :rolleyes:

Believe the OP's watts or not, it's irrelevant to the question. People's jealousy really seems to show on the internet.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha ha, that's rich. So it's normal to use the round number 300 to describe your FTP, which you stated earlier was 380. Was 400 not available? Seems like you're saying you just rode at that power so using 300 is odd. Which is all I said.
Go look at the other thread, it said "round numbers", not "rounding down". In English, there's a difference. Here, I looked it up for you:
I was just using round numbers in the original post

Quit following me around creep

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Believe the OP's watts or not, it's irrelevant to the question. People's jealousy really seems to show on the internet.
Seriously... if I pick 400, the whole thread is people asking for proof. If I pick 399, it's weak. If I pick nothing, people ask what it is. Some seriously insecure grown ass men around here. None of us are getting paid to race (not enough to live on anyway), not sure why everyone is so caught up in it.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
And 4W/kg is supposed to be impressive? :rolleyes:

For a guy with a demoralizing job and a family and formerly having debilitating asthma, 4w/kg ain't too shabby. Tiz a bummer my FTP isn't 400w like the OP.

I am not jealous whatsoever. I think we're being trolled and/or getting some generously estimated numbers.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
For a guy with a demoralizing job and a family and formerly having debilitating asthma, 4w/kg ain't too shabby.
I'm playing the world's tiniest violin for you about your job & family decisions. On the other hand having debilitating asthma does suck, but you said formerly so glad you got over that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts