Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Yeah, I wish. No Tour for me. My wife will be busy writing her PhD thesis until she defends in June and then we head to Canada for July and August. I'm not even sure how much I'll see when I'm in Montreal.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Add me to the I wish list. No chance as we're buying a new home that's supposed to be complete just about the day the Tour starts. I sure would like to though. We're also sacraficing a trip to the Dolomites that my bike group is doing. It has me going . . .new house? Dolomites? New house? dolomites! And then my wife hits me and I have to come back to reality.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Small chance this year, likely in '07

Probably can't get our s*** together to do it this summer, between finishing up some work on the house and some other projects, but we're negotiating for next year. My wife wants to go later in the year and spend most of her time in England, and I'm thinking France, Spain, Pyrenees in June. What do I need with a bunch of damp Limeys, kidney pie and driving on the left?

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be there for most of it hopefully...just trying to see if anyone on the board will be over there.

P.S. Wayne...wuzzup with the D70?

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
I am already here for the tour, like every year! I'll be catching the Normand and Breton stages as well as the Provencal (Montelimar) and Alpine stages. I'll also be either riding the Etape du Tour again if I make it through the draw or the Marmotte cyclosportive. It's all good!

A+

Philippe

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
chuckice said:
I'll be there for most of it hopefully...just trying to see if anyone on the board will be over there.

P.S. Wayne...wuzzup with the D70?
Hey Charles,
Well, it's so typical that when I had decided to get the D70, someone had already purchased it. I'm still looking at getting a digital, but I was so deflated after that "miss" that I decided to wait a little bit. Am actually interested these days in an FM3A on eBay. Yes, I know, digital is the way to go today, but I still love film, especially slide film. Anyway, I have seen a few D70 recently here in Sweden, and reasonably priced too. How is your D200? I know it's overkill for me, but I read something about NAS taking over people, and I think I have NAS (even though I don't know what it means). :)
Cheers, Wayne

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wayneanneli said:
Hey Charles,
Well, it's so typical that when I had decided to get the D70, someone had already purchased it. I'm still looking at getting a digital, but I was so deflated after that "miss" that I decided to wait a little bit. Am actually interested these days in an FM3A on eBay. Yes, I know, digital is the way to go today, but I still love film, especially slide film. Anyway, I have seen a few D70 recently here in Sweden, and reasonably priced too. How is your D200? I know it's overkill for me, but I read something about NAS taking over people, and I think I have NAS (even though I don't know what it means). :)
Cheers, Wayne
Hey Wayne..I hear ya on the slides. Tough to pass on! Have you checked keh.com for a used body? The D200 is fantastic! I think the image quality isn't noticeably better than the D70...just much faster. The D70 has so many nice pro features...

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I'll be somewhere near the town of Valkenburg on the 4th of July, the Cauberg will be too crowded to be able to get a good viewpoint, so we'll set up somewhere else. I haven't seen a roadbook online yet but I hope they do some other climbs like the Keutenberg or Eyserbosweg. I'll be there with some friends and hopefully someone takes some good piccies to share with you folks. On a sidenote: my inlaws appartment in Porlezza finally got finished, and maybe (and that's a cautious maybe) I'll be able get there for the ITT to Ghisallo during the Giro. If not, I'll have to wait for either another year or the Giro di Lombardia, that's right on the doorstep. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
chuckice said:
Hey Wayne..I hear ya on the slides. Tough to pass on! Have you checked keh.com for a used body? The D200 is fantastic! I think the image quality isn't noticeably better than the D70...just much faster. The D70 has so many nice pro features...
Hey Charles,
I checked keh about a week ago, and they didn't have too much used stuff. Right now, eBay has several "A+" condition FM3A bodies. I really like the D70 and feel that it has the right amount of features for my nature, landscape, portrait type of photography. I also saw a D70S?? on sale, will have to check out the difference between that and the reg D70.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wayneanneli said:
Hey Charles,
I checked keh about a week ago, and they didn't have too much used stuff. Right now, eBay has several "A+" condition FM3A bodies. I really like the D70 and feel that it has the right amount of features for my nature, landscape, portrait type of photography. I also saw a D70S?? on sale, will have to check out the difference between that and the reg D70.
There isn't much difference between the D70 & D70s...I don't recall the specifics but remember them being very minor and not worth any more money. Good luck!

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
I would love to go, but I kinda wonder about it. I could underrstand if you lived in France, it not being a big deal to go, but isn't it really a hassle to get there from the states?

I mean, flying over, finding a place to stay, especially if you wanted to see the mtn stages in more remote locations. Renting a car. You fight through the hordes to get a decent spot to watch, stand around for hours, then suddenly 180 guys woosh by and boom! - they're gone.

All that crap for a few seconds of bicycle racing. Then you either move on to the next stage, if that's the plan, or you pack up and go home.

I don't know, seems kinda anticlimactic to me...

All that said, I still would like to go!

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lemonlime said:
I would love to go, but I kinda wonder about it. I could underrstand if you lived in France, it not being a big deal to go, but isn't it really a hassle to get there from the states?

I mean, flying over, finding a place to stay, especially if you wanted to see the mtn stages in more remote locations. Renting a car. You fight through the hordes to get a decent spot to watch, stand around for hours, then suddenly 180 guys woosh by and boom! - they're gone.

All that crap for a few seconds of bicycle racing. Then you either move on to the next stage, if that's the plan, or you pack up and go home.

I don't know, seems kinda anticlimactic to me...

All that said, I still would like to go!
Maybe yes...maybe no. It's alot of hurry up and wait and repeat there's no doubt. But I was able to take these and there's nothing anti-climatic about this rush...

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
chuckice said:
Maybe yes...maybe no. It's alot of hurry up and wait and repeat there's no doubt. But I was able to take these and there's nothing anti-climatic about this rush...
I have to admit that I am not a big fan of Lance, but those are nice shots Charles, especially with him waving.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wayneanneli said:
I have to admit that I am not a big fan of Lance, but those are nice shots Charles, especially with him waving.
Thanks Wayne...I've been hot & cold on Lance in the past. I am glad that he's retired tho...time for new blood. Like Jan! :p

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
chuckice said:
Thanks Wayne...I've been hot & cold on Lance in the past. I am glad that he's retired tho...time for new blood. Like Jan! :p
I don't want to turn this into a Jan vs Lance debate, but Jan doesn't have to many more kick at the cans left in him. What camera did you use for those photos?

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
They aren't doing that anymore!

I don't want to disappoint anyone. But as Lance was winning his 7th last year, they kept talking about how it was the last tour. The must have said it a million times. Pay more attention.

Thanks,
Tshirt

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wayneanneli said:
I don't want to turn this into a Jan vs Lance debate, but Jan doesn't have to many more kick at the cans left in him. What camera did you use for those photos?
Nope...there ain't many bullets left in his gun for sure. I'm hoping he has one more tho. I'd like to see him pull it out...but I wouldn't be upset to see Basso or Vino either.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
chuckice said:
Nope...there ain't many bullets left in his gun for sure. I'm hoping he has one more tho. I'd like to see him pull it out...but I wouldn't be upset to see Basso or Vino either.
As for your tour question, what about you? Who do you usually go with - friends or family? and How long do you usually stay for? Do you have a specific route or sites that you plan on seeing the tour from?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts