Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, my (Campag Record 1" threadless) headset came loose. Naturally, I tightened it. A couple of days later, it was loose again so I tightened it again. After 3 or 4 tightenings, I got a bit suspicious. I cut a bit more off the steerer, de-greased it and put it all back together. Within about 3 miles it was dead loose again. I thought ' the only thing that can be happening is that the steerer is pulling out of the fork crown'. I removed the (ITM Millenium) forks and this is exactly what was happening.
I've a feeling the forks were billed as 'All carbon monocoque', but they're not. The steerer is glued into a piece of steel. I tried cleaning everything up and Aralditing it back in, but after a few days, it started to pull out again.
I sent an e-mail to ITM pointing out this dangerous flaw in their otherwise excellent product, but didn't receive a reply.
I'd quite like to repair them, as there aren't too many 1" steerer, all carbon forks with mudguard eyes out there (and it rains quite a bit here in the UK!). Especially as these are pretty light! Before you all say "Don't touch 'em", they were glued in the first place, and they're not going to catastrophically fail, the steerer just pulls out by a fraction of a mm.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't know about the UK, but here in the states, we have something called the consumer products saftey commision that would be interested in hearing of this. With such a potentially dangerous defect, I would think that the manufacturer would want to address your problem quickly. Maybe try contacting them again. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.