Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a fixie or SS bike to cruise around with the wife and maybe to use on the slow rest recovery days. I have heard fixies help you with your pedal stroke so iam curious if anyone out there has either

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
How about a cross bike- for dirt&gravel roads, light trail riding, commuting and in the fall and winter, cross racing!

:thumbsup:

·
triathlete, commuter
55 Posts
i have a fixie for commuting (46x16), and i've started using it for flat training rides up to 50mi, which i enjoy immensely

i'm a little cynical about the improved spinning idea, but my spinning speed and overall leg strength have definitely improved since switching to it

·
hello
3,394 Posts
If you want to set up your FG to improve your spin or for recovery rides set it up with low gear inches.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I use my fixie for that. Run a 39x17. Nice easy spin and you don't kill yourself when you encounter hills, which we have plenty of.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
You can't have a cross bike and not race it. It's against the law.:p

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's exactly what I did...

I bought a ss/fixie at the beginning of the year for this. I used a mtn bike ss last year as a trial; changed the gearing on it, but decided I wanted the setup similar to my roadbike (and I knew I wasn't going to race mountain bikes anymore). Bought a cheap ss with big gearing (48x16) and I'm getting a lot of base miles in with it. I put some 28c touring tires on it to avoid flats. Long story short, you can't beat the price and it's working for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts