Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recommend booby trapping junk bikes and leaving them in areas with theft issues. Be creative and make it painful.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
A lot depends on where you live. In Denver since the pandemic, bike theft is the other epidemic. Thieves (mostly homeless addicts) travel around with bolt-cutters and battery-powered angle grinders (also stolen I'm sure) in their backpacks and can steal bikes in seconds to a few minutes at most. By-standers and worse, the cops, do exactly nothing even in broad daylight or when there's video evidence. Good samaritans who try to photograph stolen bikes in homeless camps so their owners can identify and retrieve them are threatened or assaulted. If you come to Denver or Colorado, don't let your bike out of your direct sight even for a minute. People have had bikes stolen off their cars while checking into their hotel! Here's just one example of how bad it's gotten:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I gave a neighbor’s boyfriend a ride home from the supermarket. Drove into my garage and he commented on my bike.

A week later it was gone. I suspected him but had no proof. He was gone from my neighbor’s home not long after that.

Two years later I get a call from the Milwaukee WI police saying they had recovered my bike… in Arizona!?!?!?!?

When it was stolen I did a police report including a frame number. When they rousted some dude in AZ they ran the number of stolen bikes and it led back to me.

A grade school friend lives in AZ and offered to pick up the bike. I gave it to his son.

·
Registered
173 Posts
don't let your bike out of your direct sight even for a minute.
No. I have never had a bike stolen.
Yes. I have taken chances in spots where I thought theft was a strong maybe for bike theft.

The quote above is my only recipe for a bike being stolen other than forced to hand it over to a thief.
We all take bikes to different places for some reason. We ride them or transport them to our route.

I do whatever it takes to slow a thief down when my bike is out of my sight.

-You can park a bike out in the open or hide it.
-Something as simple as a piece of rope slows a thief down. Up the game with chains and cables.
-I have seen seats removed as a deterrent to a ride away theft.
-I have seen bikes still locked at the frame, to an immovable object, with wheels gone.
-Even further I take my bike inside at my lodging (hotel).
-Be aware thieves will break out a vehicle window to get to a bike locked in a car.
-If you park a bike routinely in the same place, be aware a thief might notice and take it.
-Drive by thieves are rare but they are out there.
-If you take a bike knowing it will be parked subject to possible thievery, don’t take your best bike.
-Cameras pointed at the bikes at say an apartment complex bike parking area unfortunately show a record of the theft. Bike still gets stolen. Recovered, thief caught-maybe.

Final thought. Usually thieves are not specifically “bike thieves”. They are stealing get resale cash. Or on a dare or gang initiation.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Never. Nothing. I’ve taken every risk possible. Hell, I haven’t locked my car in 35 years and I’m in neglected neighborhoods for my work all the time. Just yesterday, in a “bad” part of town, I was dropping off medication for someone. Windows open,unlocked as always. And, as always, people were very nice. I regularly left my car wide open for after work speed skating training in a local park with my work bag, iPad, all kinds of stuff, and went miles away... Worst problem was getting an occasional wasp sting from open windows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
888 Posts
I had two bikes stolen at the same time out of my garage. My advice is to have good home owners or renters insurance as I was able to get my bikes replaced for full value. I would also keep good records of any receipts for any upgrades you make to your bike. At the time I had a great relationship with an LBS where I bought both bikes and several upgraded parts including power meters. As a result it was easy to prove how much my bikes were worth. I wouldn't have thought to do it before but if I bought a secondhand frame, bike, power meter, wheelset etc. that I spent a good amount of money on I'd make sure to keep records and receipts.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts