Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you describe this bike? It looks like a mix between mountain, cyclocross and road.

I'm in the market for a speedy commuter and something I can use for longer rides on weekends if I get the urge. However I still want to be able to have good low speed stability and everyday durability.
I've never owned a road bike (for some reason I seem to be afraid of drop bars..ha) but I'm beginning to shy away from the trails more often and get my 2 wheel fix with my "urban-modified" DeKerf.
This SUB 10 has really caught my eye. Or should I just man up and buy a more dedicated bike that doesn't have so much of an identity crisis?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I don't have this bike but I I can''t help think it isn't much different than your modified DeKerf and your DeKerf is still a nicer bike to ride.

The Scott is a modified mountain bike at best, unless you get the version with 700c wheels. Triple crankset, 32 tooth cog, for commuting? Maybe for some this is fine but sounds extreme for me.

Why don't you try something new as you said. Try a road bike with drop bars, you may be pleasantly surprised. There are lots of nice bikes in the same price range, go out and test ride a few and see how it feels.

On bikeforums, I read a few threads on this bike and the owners liked them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
for the money, you can get better, although it is nice, discs are not needed on road bikes. I was looking at it myself when I was looking for a road bike.
I found 2 key problems, weight and components. If you want a road bike, road deraillers and gearing are best. It is also heavier than most other flat bar road bikes 11.7kg I think it was. The giant fcr or specialized sirrus or Scott s60 flatbar are all around 10kg I believe.
at this price, those bikes will include carbon forks.
I used to have a ridgeback genesis day 02. A british made flat bar road bike. It was awesome. I nearly bought another, but just got a langster Chicago. I wanted to try bullhorns to get more hand positions, it also is amazing!!! I was worried about the lack of gears, but it is perfect, I think maybe because it is so light, gears aren't needed. It comes in at about 8kg I think. The Scott sub 10 does look nice, but I kind of feel that it was designed to fit peoples idea of what they want, discs, flat bar etc. But not actually designed to be a great road bike.

I gave one a test ride, I nearly bought it, but there are much better bikes, for much less money. If anyone else has any suggestions then please speak up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A local shop has a langster London edition, I know it would be tons of fun but I would be afraid of some lack of versatility. Maybe i'll have to give it a ride.

So taking your guys' advice and moving more in the road direction, how does the novara Divano look? http://www.rei.com/product/760865?cm_re=pageContent*productsNo1*divano Novara Divano Bike 2008

Notice i'm only exploring options available from REI right now because I have $200 credit to burn there, however i'm not stubborn enough to limit my choices for that reason alone.

·
Registered
537 Posts
That looks like quite a nice bike, pretty decent component range.

Also remember that you can always convert to a flat bar if u find you really hate the drops.

All you need is a bar, gear shifters, grips, and brake levers. Total cost should be about $120 depending on the parts you choose.

All in all, it'll still be cheaper that a sub, also if u want to go dedicated flat bar, then tlook at the cannondale road warrior, just $899 http://www.rei.com/product/763343

·
Registered
537 Posts
one thing to be said about the sub 10 though, is that it does look cool, the frame will be strong. And it will still roll fast, even in the 650c version, which will have stronger wheels to handle a bit more abuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.