Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a new bike rider looking to buy a decent entry level bike. I found this one online, and was wondering if anyone had any experiance (know's someone, heard a story, etc.) about this bike... I am basically trying to find out if people think it would be a good deal for a beginner bike...

Thanks in advance,
JP

P.S. - I searched the Forum and could only find one mention of said bike...http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.23839/.f?sc=11&category=110

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes actually I ended up purchasing the Tommaso Imola. I put some good miles on it for a couple seasons. I no longer ride this bike and now ride a Bianchi Mono Q. Going from tommaso to the Bianchi it was night and day. The component level on this bike just wasn't made to put a lot of miles on. I was was constantly having shifting issues even after tuneups. I also got quite a few flats with the tires that came with this bike. If I had to do it over again I would have taken the money and purchased a used bike with better components (105 or Ultegra level). At the time I didn't know if I was going to like the sport so I just wanted something cheep to get started. If you find a good used bike from a good manufacture like Bianchi, Trek or Felt (just to name a few) you should be able to get most if not all your money back if you go to sell it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mesides,
I'd like to buy a used bike, but I can't seem to catch one on craigslist. They fly off the (electronic) shelf before I can get to them. Hopefully more bikes will be available in the fall or winter when people aren't out riding them. I'm not sure if I'll stick with the sport, I have a tendency to lose interest. I'm just not ready to commit to 105 or Ultegra level components.

Were you able to sell your Tommaso? For how much?

How much do bike shops charge for a tune up? The cost-analysis part of me wonders where the break even point is of cheap online bike plus tune ups versus local bike shop bike with free tune ups?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I here you about things selling quick on craigslist. I picked up a Trek for my wife a couple years ago on Craigslist but during the off-season in November. I got a good deal on it and since she never rode it (well once) I will be putting it back on Craigslist. I picked it up for 450 and will be listing it for 500 and will probably get it.

As for the Tommaso I wasn't able to resell it because I got hit by a car while riding it. I was going about 20 mph and the car was coming in the opposite direction at about 20. The bike held up a lot better than I did in the accident so I guess that's one good thing I can say about it.

A tune up will run you around $75 and it’s probably something you will need once a year maybe more depending on the miles you’re putting on. On the Tommaso as well as the components the wheels had to be trued often because they were cheap. Later on I ended up taking some free classes at a local bike shop on how to tune it up myself to save a little money.

Sometimes you end up paying a little more for a bike at your local bike shop but a lot of times they offer discounts on their services. Sometimes some even offer the free tuneups which is worth paying more for the bike in the end. It’s also nice to be able to take it in if you have questions and they usually are willing to help for free. I picked up my Bianchi at my LBS and ended up waiting till the end of the season to get good deal on it. With that being my second bike I knew I was going to stay in the sport and was willing to pay a little more so I can understand where you’re coming from.

Ebay is also a good place to look for bikes. I have found that they tend to sell a little more closer to the value of the bike and you probably won’t get as much of a deal as craigslist. I ended up getting into triathlons and have been looking at picking up a frame on ebay. I’m going to try my first build out to try and save a little money(but really to have fun with it).

Good Luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Mesides, Mattky- good to read that you guys are sticking with the sport. Also, I have to say, a lot of folks here (myself included) usually see low post counts coupled with queries about low cost bikes from RS or BD or what have you, and usually think "shill" unless proven otherwise.

In my mind, you guys have proven otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RideFly,
I really enjoyed a "shilling" post that went on for three or four pages. Googling for a BD bike actually brought me to this forum. I've talked myself into and out of four or more different BD type bikes but I hope to buy local (where I expect to save money in the long run due to tune ups and help) or on Craigslist. Earlier today I was leaning to a cross bike, now I'm leaning toward a hyrbid bike. Who knows where I'll land!?!?

Mesides,
Thanks for your input, its much appreciated. That sounds like some wreck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello,

I see your this thread was started a while back but I feel better now about not jumping on a tommaso Imola and saving a bit more to get a trek at the LBS. I dont want to get the imola at a cheap price and then have to be spending more all the time in tune ups and other parts. I rather get a good bike from the start that will last a long time.

Thank you for the info,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.