Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a custom wheelset built for me. I'm a heavy rider, 275lbs, and want something heavy duty that will hold up to me. I've got one wheel-builder recommending a velocity deep v rim with a velocity road hub. I can't find any reviews or opinions on the velocity hubs and I'd like to know something about them if I go that way. One of the reasons I'm considering them is that they come in black and I'd like an all black wheelset. They can be found on this webpage and its listed at 326g.

http://velocityusa.com/hubs.php

Any suggestions/opinions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

· Registered
543 Posts
I'm also a heavier rider although a bit less at 210 lbs. I wanted a relatively light wheel set that wouldn't break the bank. So I settled on a Velocity set made with their Areohead rim and titanium spokes. The set came with black Velocity branded hubs. After some research I found out the hubs were made by Formula in the far east. I emaild Velocity to confirm this. Anyway the hubs seem to be excellent. The seem well made and spin very well. I have had the wheels to 2 LBS and mechanics in both shops commented how well the hubs spin.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information

So it appears these are really forumla hubs. I think I found the same model on forumlahubs.com so it appears to be correct. Now, does anyone have an opinion on the forumla hubs?

Thanks,

Eric

· Registered
919 Posts
ECF said:
So it appears these are really forumla hubs. I think I found the same model on forumlahubs.com so it appears to be correct. Now, does anyone have an opinion on the forumla hubs?
Another data point: I have a pair of Velocity Nuvian wheels (Aerohead rims laced to Velocity hubs with Wheelsmith spokes) and I have put several thousand miles on these in 2.5+ years. The wheels have been great so far and I have no complaints with the hubs. Formula is supposed to be a big OEM supplier (along with Joytech), so I bet there are more Formula hubs around than people suspect. They make a pretty wide range, so I we might need to be careful when generalizing.

Formula, BTW, is the same company that makes the Xero wheelsets....

· Registered
237 Posts
I am sorry for being the contrary opinion here, but...

if I were 275 lbs. I would make a slightly different wheel. I would think that the Deep-V would be a good choice for a performance wheel, and alternatives that would be less speedy but be wider and permit a bigger tire would be Velocity's Dyad rim (can be had in asym rear), or a Mavic touring rim. As for hubs, I would tend toward a solid, good Campy, Dura-Ace, or King hub, with a minimum of 36 holes. You can get these rims in 36 and 40, I think.

ECF said:
I'm looking at getting a custom wheelset built for me. I'm a heavy rider, 275lbs, and want something heavy duty that will hold up to me. I've got one wheel-builder recommending a velocity deep v rim with a velocity road hub. I can't find any reviews or opinions on the velocity hubs and I'd like to know something about them if I go that way. One of the reasons I'm considering them is that they come in black and I'd like an all black wheelset. They can be found on this webpage and its listed at 326g.

Any suggestions/opinions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.