Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently switched out the componets on my bike. I have a 2005 Specialized S-works Tarmac which was originally spec'd with Dura-Ace 7800 10sp group. I have always wanted to try out Campy stuff so I sold the DA and ordered the 2006 Campy Record group with the aluminum cranks. I faced the the frame and torqued the bb and crank bolts to spec but I still have this creaking noise coming from the bb area only when I am in the 39t ring up front and any gear in the back. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Standard fix

Ordinarybikes said:
I just recently switched out the componets on my bike. I have a 2005 Specialized S-works Tarmac which was originally spec'd with Dura-Ace 7800 10sp group. I have always wanted to try out Campy stuff so I sold the DA and ordered the 2006 Campy Record group with the aluminum cranks. I faced the the frame and torqued the bb and crank bolts to spec but I still have this creaking noise coming from the bb area only when I am in the 39t ring up front and any gear in the back. Any ideas?
The fact that it happens only in the 39 is a little confusing, but the standard fix for any crank set noises is clean, grease, and torque to spec. Some will tell you to never grease the tapers on a Campy crank, but I've been doing it for nearly 35 years with no problems. Just a thin film on the tapers, but clean and grease all threads well, including the chain ring bolts. Any metal to metal contact surface should have a thin film of grease on it. Other possibilities obviously include pedals, shoes, saddle, seat post, wheels, frame cracks, derailleur hangers, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts