Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new set of shorts, thought I would give bibs a try. Locally, I have very little to choose from so that option is pretty much out. Performance has Descente Aero X Bib's on sale for $114 and they currently have a 10%off coupon. Anyone tried these? If so, what is your thoughts?

Any suggestions for other bibs in the similar price range?

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
I've been riding a pair of the Aero X's for about a year and change. Good quality short, but they are cut a little long in the inseam for me (have to roll them up to be really comfortable). But outside of my team kit probably my most worn set of bibs. They often show up on sale, I bought mine locally for about $90 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have a pair of the shorts. I find the pad to be too thick. It's by far the thickest feeling pad in any of my shorts. While most shorts will feel as if you have a dump in your pants, these are the worst I've tried.

They do the job and I wear them from time to time. I'll choose other shorts out of the drawer first though.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have used a pair for about the past year. One of four bibs in a rotation. I agree that the pad is large and "diaper-like" compared to my Giordana and LG sets. That doesn't bother me too much but the Aero-X seem to have worn more quickly than the others and the stitching is starting to fray around the pad as well. This is occurring in the part of the bibs that does not rub on the saddle. The Lycra seems more fragile that it should be considering the price of the bibs and I personally would not buy another set. Interestingly, a cheaper set of the Descente shorts is still doing pretty well after two full seasons.

Pags

·
Registered
841 Posts
The pad is actually thinner than many current alternatives. It's noticeable, off the bike, because it's a dense pad that seems sort of stiff. I don't notice it on the bike, and find the bibs pretty comfortable.

I guess I have some preference for the DeMarchi Contour bibs which may also be on sale at performance. If you don't see what you like, try the competitive cyclist site--they had some good bibs on closeout pretty recently, including DeMarchi and Giordana Tenax.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the descente aero-x and also the voler $65 bibs - the descente are much better IMHO. The pad is of medium thickness - which is just right. Voler has a very thin pad - which I'm not a huge fan of - I don't wear Volers on long rides for that reason. I would not call the descente pad "too thick" at all - several guys I ride with also like the D's a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.