Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have gone through 5 PAIRS in 3 days. This time the faliure caused me to go down.

4 days ago I put in a new latex Vittoria tube. I pumped the wheel to 105psi and went for a ride. at the 22 mile mark, it went flat. So I patched it.
Added air went 10 feet and another flat.

So I get home patch it. I got to 40 psi flat! the tubes are all pinch flating within 5 mm of the valve stem. So first I thought I was rushing or making a mistake. So I tired a new tube, even added talc powder. I carefully put the slighty inflated tube in. 30 psi flat, with in the same area.

So I took the wheel to the LBS with a new tube. They installed it, 42 pis, flat!
So we added a new tube, changed out the rim tape, flat @ 30psi.

So we stuck in a regular tube and it was fine. So yesterday I add another new tube, but this time I moved the Michelin to the rear and the Vittoria up front. The Michelin inflated fine. This time the Vittoira was fine also.

So this morning I go for a ride and I turn a corner and down I went. Guess what? A flat tube in the same spot. I just called Nasbar to return 4 tubes that I think are defective. I sent an e-mail off to Vittoira USA to see what's up!

Anyone else having any issues? Never any issues with the Michelin tubes. They are even thicker too.

Also do ALL latex tubes loose air very fast? It seems like once they go flat, they loose air very, very fast!

Yes MODS, I posted in the wrong forum, sorry!

· Ironbutt
203 Posts
Vittoria latex tubes

I used to use them regularly, but had some problems with durability. I was lucky, the failures never caused me to go down. I switched to Michelin latex tubes and have had no problems at all with them. I like the resilient ride of the latex tubes and am willing to pump up my tires every day. (I'm from the old school where you deflate the tires when you finish your ride) For me, it's not the weight savings that makes the latex tubes worthwhile, it's the difference I perceive in the ride. If you coat the inside of the tire casing and the tube liberally with talc the difference in ride is very perceptible.

· Registered
133 Posts
couldnt agree more,

the ride of latex is awesome especially with some open tubular tires. use the
michelin latex tubes, i havent had any problems with them. dont bother patching
them, just replace em. you do have to pump them each ride, but any tube loses
air overnight, just not as much.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
I believe! I believe!

Ironbutt said:
For me, it's not the weight savings that makes the latex tubes worthwhile, it's the difference I perceive in the ride. If you coat the inside of the tire casing and the tube liberally with talc the difference in ride is very perceptible.
Have you ever tried comparing latex and butyle tubes in a blind test? Those who have couldn't tell the difference. Here's one example (from a rec.bicycles.tech posting by Wayne Lim):

"By the way, we had this routine down because of an argument over whether or
not latex tubes made a difference in feel. I thought they would, my friend
did not. We used the same test protocol for tubes (the stems were hidden by
the stem extender) except that we pumped the tires up to 100 psi, and the
rider would appear and then pump the tire the remaining way to his desired
pressure. We used the same hill, the same rear wheel and tire, and the same
bikes. This was before we tried balancing the wheels, but we were both
unable to distinguish between a latex (Vittoria) and butyl (Michelin
ultralight) tube."

I personally can't tell the difference between latex and lightweight butyl tubes - there are too many other variables that get in the way.

· Registered
133 Posts
yes i have,

i could immediately tell the difference right away, as i can immediately tell the difference
between a tubed mtb tire and a true UST tire. everybody is different, some people dont
notice a thing and they ride whatever, i can pick up on the smallest chgs. if you cant tell
the difference then by all means enjoy spending less on tubes. a latex tube delivers a ride
more similar to tubeless, but not quite as good (mtb here). if you look up the studys
when cars when to tubless tires there was an increase in gas mileage. there is less drag
and it maintains momentum better. not sure how ust will be on the road because the
big advantage on a mtb is running lower pressure for more traction without a squirmy
feel.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark,

I came home with a Butyl tube up front at the same PSI and not as smooth.
This is the one thing I really notice a differnce in. I ca feel the differnce in comfort using latex and butyl at the same pressure in the same tires.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX Clinchers. Sweet riding as can be!

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Placebo affect

DIRT BOY said:
I came home with a Butyl tube up front at the same PSI and not as smooth.
This is the one thing I really notice a differnce in. I ca feel the differnce in comfort using latex and butyl at the same pressure in the same tires.
There's a reason for blind (and double blind) tests. Go do a blind test like Wayne Lim did, and then we can talk. Wayne Lim was convinced he could tell a difference - until he had to try to detect the difference blind.

· Registered
316 Posts
peabody said:
the ride of latex is awesome especially with some open tubular tires. use the
michelin latex tubes, i havent had any problems with them. dont bother patching
them, just replace em. you do have to pump them each ride, but any tube loses
air overnight, just not as much.
DIRT BOY said:
I am using Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX Clinchers. Sweet riding as can be!
Try riding the real thing - latex tubulars. Much sweeter and more awesome than clinchers, even the "open tubular" clinchers.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree but....

Trust my, I understand the placebo effect. I talk about it all the time in my fitness business. I can have MAJOR effects on people.

Kinda of like External B are stiffer than ISIS, SQ Taper, 31.8 bars over 26.0, etc...:rolleyes:
I can cleary feel a more supp,e and softer ride. At the same air pressure, the ride is smoother and less road feedback.

I just wanted to get home tioday and was not concerd what tube I was running upfront. It felt like the front end was riding ruffer or had higher pressure. BUT it was the same psi. Only differnce was the tube.

We can probaly find other studies showing there is a differnce between the latex tubes and butyl ones.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep...but

I am not even going to attempt that gluing crap with tubulars.:rolleyes:

I rode a pair once from a buddy of mine. Yes, a very nice ride and better than what I have now, but that whole gluing thing is not for me.

I do like the carbon wheels thing though...
As Carbon Clinchers become more popular, I might go that route.

· Registered
316 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
I am not even going to attempt that gluing crap with tubulars.:rolleyes:

I rode a pair once from a buddy of mine. Yes, a very nice ride and better than what I have now, but that whole gluing thing is not for me.

I do like the carbon wheels thing though...
As Carbon Clinchers become more popular, I might go that route.
The key is to not flat, which I never do with good latex tubulars. Then you only have to re-glue when the tire wears out, or if you have one of those wheels which requires tire removal to true.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's funny!

· Registered
21,863 Posts
This proves the point

peabody said:
i could immediately tell the difference right away, as i can immediately tell the difference between a tubed mtb tire and a true UST tire. everybody is different, some people dont notice a thing and they ride whatever, i can pick up on the smallest chgs. if you cant tell the difference then by all means enjoy spending less on tubes. a latex tube delivers a ride more similar to tubeless, but not quite as good (mtb here). if you look up the studys when cars when to tubless tires there was an increase in gas mileage. there is less drag and it maintains momentum better. not sure how ust will be on the road because the big advantage on a mtb is running lower pressure for more traction without a squirmy feel.
Just as you can't prove or disprove someone's faith, you can't prove or disprove someone's belief in the ride differences attributable to inner tubes. However, I'm with Marc McM on this: until you have done the blind test thing, you don't know squat. This has been done repeatedly by many people, believers and disbelievers alike. To my knowledge, no one has been able to tell the difference in a well conducted test. Of course, YOU could, but no one else has :)

· Registered
714 Posts
i bought some recently from nashbar (7.95 ea) to use w/my veloflexs, they would not even pump to 115 w/o bursting. i have used latex tubes in the past (air-b) without much prob w/ gommitalia and vitt opens but never had this kinda prob.

got my money back from nashbar.

just a heads up, latex will rot from petroleum so do not use any lube in your pump, might need to clean the good 'ol floor pump internally.

DIRT BOY said:
I have gone through 5 PAIRS in 3 days.

· Registered
133 Posts
irons

Kerry Irons said:
Just as you can't prove or disprove someone's faith, you can't prove or disprove someone's belief in the ride differences attributable to inner tubes. However, I'm with Marc McM on this: until you have done the blind test thing, you don't know squat. This has been done repeatedly by many people, believers and disbelievers alike. To my knowledge, no one has been able to tell the difference in a well conducted test. Of course, YOU could, but no one else has :)

what is your deal? if you want to ride butyl tubes with some cheap hutchinson tires
and proclaim they ride better than anything else then go ahead. it seems like EVERY
time i post you come back with some smart ass remark. what makes you the expert
on tires? i would love to hear your background on anything technical about bicycles
or anything for that matter. you still seem to think that a hand glued open tubular
and a molded clincher are the exact same thing, so in that theory then a forged component is the same as a cast component. do you even know the difference between
the 2. why don't you get a room!

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Follow up for the Vittoira USA distributor!

I am sorry to hear that you had some troubles with the Vittoria Latex tubes. We too have had some troubles and no longer distribute the latex tubes. I would be willing to send you 5 replacement Vittoria Ultralite tubes. They weigh 80 grams and are made of butyl so they won't pull from the valve area. If you would like receive the Ultralites just email me your mailing address and I will get them out to you.

Thanks,
Bikemine

Now that is what I call Customer Service!

· Registered
316 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
I am sorry to hear that you had some troubles with the Vittoria Latex tubes. We too have had some troubles and no longer distribute the latex tubes. I would be willing to send you 5 replacement Vittoria Ultralite tubes. They weigh 80 grams and are made of butyl so they won't pull from the valve area. If you would like receive the Ultralites just email me your mailing address and I will get them out to you.

Thanks,
Bikemine

Now that is what I call Customer Service!
Good customer service would at least offer to provide you a refund, not just an exchange for a different product. Maybe a refund plus an exchange to compensate you for your inconvenience.

Back in the olden days before tubular clinchers, I had a saying "Never use butyl tubulars. Never use latex clinchers." I'm not sure if this advice applies to tubular clinchers, but it dang sure applies if you have an open tubular (i.e. fancy name for an expensive clincher) with separate (latex ... argghhhh) inner tube.

Time to Hammer. It's Hammer Time (but not on no latex clincher)!!

· Registered
21,863 Posts
Well

peabody said:
what is your deal? if you want to ride butyl tubes with some cheap hutchinson tires
and proclaim they ride better than anything else then go ahead. it seems like EVERY
time i post you come back with some smart ass remark. what makes you the expert
on tires? i would love to hear your background on anything technical about bicycles
or anything for that matter. you still seem to think that a hand glued open tubular
and a molded clincher are the exact same thing, so in that theory then a forged component is the same as a cast component. do you even know the difference between
the 2. why don't you get a room!
I GUESS YOU TOLD ME!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.