Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the Garmin Edge 305, it does so much and it's easy to use but it randomly just turns off for no reason. Anyone else have similar problems or know of any fixes. I talked to Garmin tech support and they had me do a hard reset but problem continued.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I bought a refurbished 305 and have had no such problems with it. The random powering off issue is well-known as a problem some older units had, so call them back and tell them that the reset didn't fix it. Garmin is pretty good about warranty support from what I've heard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had this same problem with my edge after a several years of trouble free use. I found this thread on the motionbased.com website to disassemble the unit and clean the the contacts.

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?topic=6566.0

It has worked perfectly ever since. I used locktite ULTRA universal adhesive. The rubber cement used by others only lasted one ride before it came loose. The Loctite seems strong enough yet not permanent in case I have to perform this surgery again. Actually it was quite easy and took less than 30 minutes. Good luck.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I am on my fourth version of the 305, the same problem every time. Garmin has been great about sending out a new one, promising every time that "we fixed the problem." If this one takes a dump I am going to dicker for a 705 even if I have to cough up a little sugar to make it happen.

·
Registered
152 Posts
jrosteck said:
Mine worked fine Saturday.

Went to power on for a ride yesterday and it is dead. No response at all.

That happens. You need to do a quick reset of the unit. Hold the lower left button on the side and the lap button at the same time.

I just started to have the issue of it turning off randomly during a ride. I love the concept of the garmin, but there seem to be so many bugs, that I'm not sure if it's worth it anymore.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just did the back removal, cleaned everything up, shimmed the battery contact up a little so it should have better connection to the front half. Hopefully this will solve the problems.

No combination of buttons and resets would work so I think it was loosing connection with the battery.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm on my 4th 305.

Garmin has been great about sending another victim for my amusment. Best Customer Support I have ever seen. Seriously....

I do believe they have had some early problems. My current 305 has been with me for 7 months, this one might be a winner.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
I had the same problem with my first 305. However, I could get it to turn back on after a minute or two, but it would have me doing 250+ mph, which I think is impossible unless I am shot out of a canon. Garmin replaced that unit with another one, and I didn't have any more shut off problems. My next problem was consistantly finding a satellite signal. I got tired of that problem and just bought the 705. I've been using it a month now and it is working just fine (knock on wood). I even like it a lot better than the 305.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend the 305 to anybody. A guy that rides with my team had the same power off problem with his 305. He bought the 705 also and he loves it.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
The 705 actually has 4 small torx head screws in the back of it holding the top and bottom together. Looks like they figured out one of the problems with the 305 and solved it with 4 screws that probably cost less than a penny.

·
Registered
26 Posts
+1 on the Garmin Customer Support. I bought the 305 as soon as it was available and didn't have any problems at all for the first year. Then about this time last year, it started locking up about every other ride, and I had to do the hard reset. After five or six weeks of that, it finally just died and wouldn't come back on.

I called Garmin customer support, expecting the "run-around" or an argument about the warranty, and instead they instantly said send it in along with a note of the problem, and they'd either repair it at no cost or replace it. Just over a week later, without me even having to call or email about the status, they shipped me a brand new unit and it's performed flawlessly (no resets at all) for almost a year now.

Plus, this second unit is infinitely better on battery longevity. With my first unit, I had to charge it after EVERY ride. Trying to get two rides on one charge was an exercise in futility. As a matter of fact, if I didn't charge it after a ride, when I tried to turn it on the next day, it would promptly say "Low Battery" and shut off.

With the unit I receieved last year, I can get up to four rides on it without have to recharge the batteries, with those rides lasting anywhere from 2 to 4 hours.

I agree with some posts that there have been issues with the 305, but as long as their customer service reacts as they did with me, I'll continue to purchase their products and wouldn't hesitate to recommend their products to anyone. To that end, four of my riding buddies now have the 305.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have a Garmin eTrek Vista, a hiking GPS. I have carried it in my jersey pocket and have had the same problems with it turning off. I've tried several things to fix it including putting a wad of aluminum foil between the battery ends and contacts, tried wrapping the batteries in tape to make them fit tighter. But nothing ever really fixed the problem. I know that when I ride on very smooth roads the problem occurs less often. Since the roads around here aren't that smooth I've given up on using it most of the time.

Sorry to hear the cycling specific unit is having the same problem.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My 305 quit communicating with the cadence/speed sensor this weekend. I put a new battery in the sensor and tried multiple rescans and resets. The lights on sensor blink when the crank or wheel magnet pass it, but no data appears on the 305. Any ideas before I call Garmin?

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
You have probably already done this, but how about checking the alignment between the magnet on the crank and the sensor, and if they are aligned, how about checking and changing the distance between the two. After that, I am out of ideas.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.