Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Diesel
80 Posts
Nah. Ride for Heroes in Aledo

Some friends and I are doing Ride for Heroes in Aledo. It's on the west side of Ft. Worth and a little bit further but it's well worth it. just my.02

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Be prepared for lots of corners and lots of riders with little experience. Ride it for the scenery and to have a chat with your riding buddies and you'll be fine. Don't expect to hammer. The route is fine, although not as scenic as the Year 1 route. The fast run in through Deep Ellum and through downtown on the way to the finish were great. Too bad those are gone.

The thing to do is ride your bike to the start and ride home. That way you'll get in some miles and won't have to deal with parking at the AAC.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Powerstroker said:
Some friends and I are doing Ride for Heroes in Aledo. It's on the west side of Ft. Worth and a little bit further but it's well worth it. just my.02
ditto, The Ride for Heros is a much better ride. I did the Tour of Dallas last year. It was made up of people on cruisers and Walmart bikes(not that there is anything wrong with that). I forgot what I spent but it is a very short ride for the money...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
ditto, The Ride for Heros is a much better ride. I did the Tour of Dallas last year. It was made up of people on cruisers and Walmart bikes(not that there is anything wrong with that). I forgot what I spent but it is a very short ride for the money...
Ditto squared.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prolly won't matter anyway

Weather is gonna be horrible this whole week for riding. Haven't committed to anything yet.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What sort of rider count is there in aledo? Leaning towards doing that one if the weather looks ok. I really need to get a long ride in for training and 30 just won't do it for me I'm thinking now. I met a couple RBRers at the HH100 last year. I'd probably be doing this one solo as there is next to 0 way I can talk anyone from Dallas coming all the way over there. Would like to at least get a start in with some of you.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
weather looks good RFH is a go

culdeus said:
What sort of rider count is there in aledo? Leaning towards doing that one if the weather looks ok. I really need to get a long ride in for training and 30 just won't do it for me I'm thinking now. I met a couple RBRers at the HH100 last year. I'd probably be doing this one solo as there is next to 0 way I can talk anyone from Dallas coming all the way over there. Would like to at least get a start in with some of you.

Shoot me a PM if interested.
I'm doing RFH for sure now. Hope to see you there. I'll be wearing a baby blue "XP companies" kit as it's my only bib that I like right now. I ride a total fred rig that I got for <$500 used and have put on the inside of 10kmi on. My bib will not match my helmet, or my bike. I'm trying to give FREDs in the metroplex a good name so bear with me.

The people I ride with are from TNT and will probably wear those jerseys and have matching stuff all the way to the waterbottles and patch kit. It's two non-descript dudes in their 20s and a wimmen that's early 20s.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I did the RFH based on some of the recs. here.

HOLY MOTHER OF.....

Seriously, I thought we'd get to snow caps by the time we were done climbing that hill at 40 miles. Where else in texas is there that much continuous timing. NTM it was into the wind the whole time.

Did the 62 and was damn happy to not die doing it.

Thank for the reccomendation. Very challenging, very well supported (could use some better signage), and a good group of riders.

·
Diesel
80 Posts
What a ride!

We rode the 62 and the wind was harder than the hills. Hills don't bother me too much since we do the Colorado Tour every year and the climbs can go 15 - 30 miles at 6% grade. Overall a great ride but I think they need to rethink the parking situation for next year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts