Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Disco Bandit
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm thinking of traveling to Sweden this summer and biking with a friend from Göteborg to Stockholm (or vice versa). Is anyone familiar with the bike routes in this area, and is Sweden very cyclist friendly?

G

·
Long time forums member wayneanneli lives in sweden.

You should go to the Lounge and call for him or send him a PM, he mostly just checks the Lounge as far as I know.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Ok, you found me. Sweden is incredibly cyclist friendly. The links provided by perttime are good and should get you by easily. I'll see if I can dig up anything else, though the links will probably be in Swedish. When are you coming over?

·
Disco Bandit
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I'm glad someone from Sweden has chimed in as well. :)

I was thinking in July or August. It is dependent on some things that might be going on around then. My friend, who lives in Åsa, (and will be biking with me, in theory) has said there aren't too many biking paths. The links have been very informative though, so hopefully between those and anything else that might pop up, I can figure out what to do.

Thanks again! (And feel free to keep adding more info :)

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Swedes

Don't worry about the lack of bike paths. Swedes drive as if they feel a sense of responsibility for their actions, and to the world and the other people in it. Swedes rock. (as do Finns - shhhh)

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
KellyMo said:
Thanks everyone. I'm glad someone from Sweden has chimed in as well. :)

I was thinking in July or August. It is dependent on some things that might be going on around then. My friend, who lives in Åsa, (and will be biking with me, in theory) has said there aren't too many biking paths. The links have been very informative though, so hopefully between those and anything else that might pop up, I can figure out what to do.

Thanks again! (And feel free to keep adding more info :)
Depends what your friend expects when he/she says there aren't many cycling paths. Don't expect a path all the way from Stockholm to Göteborg, but stick to smaller roads and you will be fine. In towns like where we live, paths are abundant, as in bigger cities like Stockholm and Göteborg. Svenska Cykelsällskapet has maps for sale - I'll calll them tomorrow (Monday) and ask what they suggest for the route you're thinking of. We live in Växjö, which is a slight detour, but if you make it here, you're certainly welcome to a bed, shower and meal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I ride in Sweden for a couple of weeks each summer (wife's a native). We stay near Norkopping, and while they're some true bike paths around, my favorite rides are among the abundant small roads throughout the countryside. Just get a local map when you arrive and wing it. You'll quickly figure out how to spot the best cycle-friendly roads, and encounter the multitude of amazing, nearly traffic free rides winding through the country.

·
Disco Bandit
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once again, thanks all for the info. I was just toying with the idea, but now I'm going to seriously look into it. It sounds like a great place to ride, although the biggest drawback right now is financing just to get to Sweden.

But I'm going to try. And thanks for the offers for a place to stay as well... I might have to look you up later. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.