Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know the PPG color code, tried google but gave up after 8 pages worth of links that did not yield a place where i could order touch-up by the color code?
thanks
jim

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
jimcav said:
i know the PPG color code, tried google but gave up after 8 pages worth of links that did not yield a place where i could order touch-up by the color code?
thanks
jim
Try an auto body shop or a shop that specializes in paint for automobiles..There is a place near me called English Color that will mix paint in small quanities.

·
Pixie Sticks and Politics
716 Posts
Same boat. Tried calling my authorized dealers and they all pretty much told me to use fingernail polish.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Go to a good hobby shop and look at the model paint. The color selection these days is amazing. You should be able to get really close.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Auto supply store

A typical auto parts supply store will have dozens (a hundred?) of little bottles of touch-up paint. They have a lot of colors, and you usually can get very close if you have a paint chip. You could ask if they have a cross reference to the PPG color number - don't know aobut that.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all--i have done the testers route

when i did not know the exact color code--seems crazy when you know the exact paint number that there is not an easy way to order it.
i will try calling some auto body places--hope they can point me in the right direction
thanks for taking the time to reply
jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
jimcav said:
thanks
jim
look up your local ppg paint dealer. you will probably have to buy at least half a pint of paint though. This will be a base coat paint and needs to have a clear coat. To make touchup I use base color and clear mixed together and let it air dry. You could probably get the dealer to mix it this way for you

Even without a paint code most paint dealers have a laser matching machine and can custom mix for any color.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks toomanybikes

i emailed them and hope to hear that i can order from them--as an alternative i am trying to find a ppg distributer/supplier nearby
thanks again
jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts