Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a GT GTR Series 1.0 (2005 model) at a local shop to be my first road bike. It's marked down significantly to $1400 and at that price the components cannot be beat. In addition, riding it, the frame seemed to be more solid/less flexy than the bikes in the same pricerange (2006 Felt F75, Trek 1500, Scott Speedster 30). The dude at the bikeshop seemed pretty knowledgeable and was high on the GT.

My question, is this a good bike? More accurately, is there anything wrong with GT Road Bikes? I know them through the mountain biking I do, but know nothing about them in terms of Road Bikes. The guy I was talking to said that that is the problem with them, no one knows about them. Can anyone here shed any light? I want to pull the trigger on this seemingly screaming deal but want to make sure I'm not being turned into a complete sucker.

Thanks. By the way, this bike will be used for training for a half-Ironman, so even though I'm new to the road biking world (been mountain biking for years) this will see some serious mileage. I'd like this bike to be a do-it-all road bike including the racing.

· Registered
743 Posts
GT road bikes are made in Taiwan by Kinesis. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Kinesis but they build good quality frames for many manufacturers.

GT road bikes are perfectly fine. They're good quality, have very nice smooth welds and are well spec'd.

GT used to sponsor the Lotto cycling team but that was before they went out of business and sold to Pacific.

GT is now owned by Pacific Cycle which is in turn owned by Dorel, a furniture company. Dorel also owns Scwhinn and Mongoose.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.