Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a bike for commuting back and forth to work. Looked at a Trek 7100, but am really hesitant with buying something made in China, as I know that the quality is often horrible. Any ideas would be useful. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
shiraegi said:
I am trying to find a bike for commuting back and forth to work. Looked at a Trek 7100, but am really hesitant with buying something made in China, as I know that the quality is often horrible. Any ideas would be useful. Thanks.
Your absolutely wrong about the quality of foreign-made products. If you knew how many high end bikes were made in the Far East.......

·
Registered
324 Posts
Personally, at that price target I would buy a used bike, you could get a far better used bike for $400 than new.

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
I bought my daughter a Trek 7000, one slot below the 7100. We haven't had any problems at all. The 7000 is more like the FX series than the 7100 and above, in that it has a fixed fork. Is it a great bike? Of course not, the welds are functional but fugly, the drivetrain is SRAM grip shifters with some sub-Sora Shimano rear derailler. But, it is a solid bike that is fine for her purposes. She is not now and will never be an everyday rider, it is just for riding with friends when the mood hits them. On the other hand, it is better bike overall than the bikes I road to school everyday when I was a kid in the 60s, and wouldn't be a bad commuter.
So, should you buy used or buy a new low-end Trek or Giant? Depends on what kind of bike you want, and whether you can do your own wrenching. You won't get even an entry level race bike new for under $400, but you can certainly get a new, reasonably decent entry level upright bike that will get you from point A to point B for under $400.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
raleigh c30, giant cypress

you can get a hybrid equivalent to these for commuting.
each is well under $400.
if something breaks or is not satisfactory, just get it fixed with the $150 plus you did not blow cuz these are well under $400.

I had one and loved it, then it got stolen (when locked up outside my apt). Got the other. It got stolen (when locked outside my apt).

So, I began commuting on the roadbike I was keeping in my apt.

But I enjoyed each of those for commuting - good while it lasted, for well under $400.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
The bikes listed above are made in the far east. I ride a Soma that is built in Taiwan. I put over 7000 miles on it last year commuting to and from work in all kinds of weather. The paint is excellent, I am an engineer and have no problem with the construction of the frame. The frame is Reynolds 631 steel with a 4130 chromoly rear triangle. I don't know where you get your data about chinese and taiwanese bikes, but they are a world player with good quality control. Like Specialized bikes? Made in Taiwan. Giant used to be the behind the scenes builder for Schwinn, Specialized, and others before they started selling under their own name.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i guess you don't buy many new things, seeing as almost everything is being made in china these days. :)

my advice: buy vintage.

shiraegi said:
am really hesitant with buying something made in China, as I know that the quality is often horrible. Any ideas would be useful. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all for your diverse input. i have to admit i always look for products not made in china as i have had many bad experiences, although not with bikes, but i would think any 'machine' i'm riding had better be good and safe. but as some of you pointed out, it doesn't have to be bad...

i think i will try to go with a used bike first, if not, i will have to go for a trek or so - any other brands that are in the same price range and of comparable quality?

·
Registered
277 Posts
FYI, the bulk of D1 professional cyclists in the world ride bikes made in SE Asia.

Regarding your cheap bike: it makes no difference - a $400 bike is a $400 bike as they all will have very similar frames and parts. Look for whatever color or brand trips your fancy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just think about it ...

Several years ago, I had the good fortune to travel to the Far East. Was in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and China. It may have changed significantly since then, but the bicycle was far-and-away the most common mode of transportation, especially in the large cities. With all that practice making bikes, I've got to think they know what they're doing.

I own a Trek 7200 hybrid myself and it's been a great bike. It's fast enough that I'm able to hold my own against many road bikes, and for short distances, it's really convenient.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Second the SOMA

As Alienator posted above, Taiwan frames are on par with eveyone else's frame (China excluded). The SOMAs are an excellent bike at an excellent price. Look into Surly's Long Haul Trucker and their Crosscheck. Nice bikes but a tad heavier than the SOMA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts