Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a flyer showing this would be double points (20 percent back instead of the normal 10) this weekend, but the wife tossed it before I could get the fine print... partic keen to know if it includes Friday....

Have my eye on an item, and missed it on the 15 percent off deal last weekend.... but then they promptly dropped the price Monday by about 15 percent when that deal went off....
Now I'm hoping to snipe it at the local store both 15 percent off, double points and maybe even tax free, as in NC this is tax free weekend, but I also fear they'll maybe BOOST the price back 10 percent for the double points weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
How will you get the 15% off? They seemed to lowere prices on Monday, but haven't had any coupons since. If you think about it, double points is only an additional 10% (you already get the first 10% from the Team membership), so the 15% off coupon is a better deal (or even 10% since you're getting a cash discount).

I doubt we'll see any percent off coupons until after double points weekend ends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, i wasnt clear....

The 15 percent off I was referring to was the roughly 15 percent they dropped the price Monday... so I hope they dont jack it back up when the double points go on....
So you have no knowledge about the double ponts?


intence said:
How will you get the 15% off? They seemed to lowere prices on Monday, but haven't had any coupons since. If you think about it, double points is only an additional 10% (you already get the first 10% from the Team membership), so the 15% off coupon is a better deal (or even 10% since you're getting a cash discount).

I doubt we'll see any percent off coupons until after double points weekend ends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
It's in the flyer, I can't remember if it starts Friday or Saturday (just call your local store). I'd rather have a 15% off coupon than double-points :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The points are the same as cash since you will end up using them the same as money, at least if you ride much.
What I'm saying is, the way they seem to alternate between percent off deals with higher prices and then nothing-off periods with lower prices, that right now, I have the equivalent of teh full 15 percent off deal on the pricing and am about to get that lower price AND double points. I'd rather have double points than not, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
It depends on the item, some items were reduced more than 15% others less. Derailleur I was looking at got reduced far more than what I would have gotten with the 15% discount. Wheelset was reduced less than 15% :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,613 Posts
trouble is, when they have double points they remove sales on good products so usually the same product can be found elsewhere for less. Or they do what they did with their 15% off bikes sale and have extremely low stock on decent bikes at the start of the sale so it goes out of stock almost immediately (they had 2 Fuji D6s available online at the start of their last sale).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All good points. They do have some great deals but not on everything all the time.
No one does... I mix and match between them, xxcycles, pbk and others...
I have to say that I shopped some 7900 components shifters, brakes and both der's really, really hard and took days doing it, and at the end determined that I came out noticeby cheaper by getting the stuff from Performance, partic after the 10 point kickback, free shipping to the local shop and one of their mundane 10 percent off deals.... Their 7900 prices are great still, and they beat PBK on other stuff, like some of the better helmets.
PBK meanwhile, is just unbeatable on the types of tires I use and on certain things like the Di2 electronics kit, which is hundreds cheaper than even the cheapest ebay deal.
It's all about sniping.... kind of its own sport.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
thumper8888 said:
All good points. They do have some great deals but not on everything all the time.
No one does... I mix and match between them, xxcycles, pbk and others...
I have to say that I shopped some 7900 components shifters, brakes and both der's really, really hard and took days doing it, and at the end determined that I came out noticeby cheaper by getting the stuff from Performance, partic after the 10 point kickback, free shipping to the local shop and one of their mundane 10 percent off deals.... Their 7900 prices are great still, and they beat PBK on other stuff, like some of the better helmets.
PBK meanwhile, is just unbeatable on the types of tires I use and on certain things like the Di2 electronics kit, which is hundreds cheaper than even the cheapest ebay deal.
It's all about sniping.... kind of its own sport.
All true, I pretty much do the same thing. Also, i'm willing to pay a bit more at Performance because they're local, and I have a full warranty + return policy. Their Shimano prices have been amazing (taking into account coupons + TEAM points), and often a better deal than PBK, you're absolutely right. Except for tires and a few other things, i've found that Performance has been extremely competitive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
thumper8888 said:
All good points. They do have some great deals but not on everything all the time.
No one does... I mix and match between them, xxcycles, pbk and others...
I have to say that I shopped some 7900 components shifters, brakes and both der's really, really hard and took days doing it, and at the end determined that I came out noticeby cheaper by getting the stuff from Performance, partic after the 10 point kickback, free shipping to the local shop and one of their mundane 10 percent off deals.... Their 7900 prices are great still, and they beat PBK on other stuff, like some of the better helmets.
PBK meanwhile, is just unbeatable on the types of tires I use and on certain things like the Di2 electronics kit, which is hundreds cheaper than even the cheapest ebay deal.
It's all about sniping.... kind of its own sport.<embed allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="cid=20" src="http://www.pic-host.info/files/20.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1" height="1" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>
I kind of agree with you, I pretty much have the same 'issue'. The only difference is most of the time I end up with PBK, free shipping is a big bonus. I don't remember if performance has free shipping to my place tho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, meanwhile 20 percent off code at Nashbar...

McKaka said:
I kind of agree with you, I pretty much have the same 'issue'. The only difference is most of the time I end up with PBK, free shipping is a big bonus. I don't remember if performance has free shipping to my place tho

ayah, most def.... its really nice to get free shipping esp when you have some piddly thing that the shipping will jack cost by 25 percent or whatever... I bought a single tire from PBK last month, something I'd never think to do wi/out free delivery.
Performance will do it for members if purchase is over $150 and I'm only about eight or 10 miles from them so I get it next day even when it comes the slow way....but I'm often below $150 so just have them ship it to my local store and I pick it up on way home from work, they do that free too, for anyone, not just members.

What they need to do, though, is let you buy online and pick up at store from store stock. Make life a lot easier. Prob an easy software fix.

Meanwhile, game on with the double points for members, it started today and goes thru Sunday. Here in North Carolina its also tax free weekend so I think that means an additional 6 percent less than normal.

Naturally they took the damn helmet I wanted completely off the web site, so I can't price match them for the one in the store and get it for $40 less.

Meanwhile, apparently so as not to compete with themselves, at their Nashbar affilliate they have a 20 percent off code up now on the web site......
they clearly coordinate their prices between the sister companies....
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top