Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SHOES for 2009? I see a bunch of sites with 'closeout" sales and markdowns as low as $225

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
well... DA is going compact... and Ultegra already is...

so why have R700 and R300 stick around?

That's just my speculation though, might be no truth to it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have the R300 and also think it is a great shoe. Online sites having them at closeouts does not surprise me at all actually when you consider the fit process. To do the fit, you need the oven and vacuum, something that only a shop is going to have. Online sites are probably discounting them because while it is a great stock shoe, without the fitting process, no one will pay $350 for a stock Shimano shoe. If you do buy online, you can maybe go to your local shop and ask them to fit for you. I called 1 or 2 shops and they were willing to do a fit for about $50.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sbindra said:
I called 1 or 2 shops and they were willing to do a fit for about $50.
That's not cheap. So now you are looking at a $400 shoe.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dr_John said:
I've been noticing them discounted to. And not just from online vendors. Here they're advertised on the site, but you have to purchase them at the store:

http://edenbicycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=4103

I'll check them out if I get a chance.
Yep. I just bought some on ebay for $260 shipped in 44E

·
Registered
620 Posts
I dunno why...

...they're discounting them. It's possible that there is no change for 2009 (apparently, it was a long development process) and it's just that it's nearing the end of the biking season (for most people) and sellers want to dump the stock before winter. I just got a pair of R220s from Boulder Cycle Sport for $200 and they customized 'em for free. My feet are really screwed up (40+ winters in ski boots...) but I think these are gonna work out. After you get them customized, they fit so close that I think it takes a few rides before they settle in completely. I did an easy 20 miles yesterday up Boulder Canyon and back, and they felt great...

·
Registered
662 Posts
You don't have to have them fitted. I bought a pair online when they first came out last year. I ended up putting in some Specialized BG insoles. I also wear thicker socks in the winter than I do in the Summer. I felt paying to have them fitted might reduce my sock options.

I really like the shoes and did a little over 4000 miles in them last year. I may buy another pair as standbys if the discount prices get crazy cheap.

·
Registered
91 Posts
sbindra said:
I meant $50 if you buy them online. If you bought at a custom fit dealer at the $350 retail, the fitting is included in the $350. I would not expect a dealer to fit them for free if you bought them elsewhere.
I called a local bike shop to set up an appointment and confirm the price of $350, but they said fitting was an extra $25 -- does that sound right, paying full retail PLUS paying for a fitting?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.