Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I put myself on the lottery for RAMROD this year. The profile in the RAMROD web site gives you the general idea, but I'm curious how steep the grade is on the two big climbs. Anyone know? I'm wondering what sort of gearing I'll need. Thanks.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, that's pretty cool. I wonder if the 5-6% are just averages with some steeper sections mixed in. I guess the best policy would be to bring some lower gears than I think I need. :) Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
The grades aren't very steep, and don't kick up much at all. They're just very long. On the climb to Paradise the computer barely hit 8%.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Okay, I wonder if these grades were calculated correctly. Remember, that it is rise over run, not hypoteneuse over run. If they used the later to calculate the grades, then the actual grades are steeper. Whenver you are climbing with an accurate alitmeter, measure the distance in miles and the feet climbed. You must then convert the miles into feet to do the calculation.

Here are my calculations of climbs I have done in order of my own SUBJECTIVE calculated rating of the difficulty of the climb (which I did not include in this spreadsheet).

Climb Locations Avg Gradiant
Haleakala Maui, Hawaii 6.98%
Edelweiss Bolzano, Italy 15.30%
Colle della Finestre Susa, Italy 9.10%
Monte Zoncolan Ovaro, Italy 11.50%
Mortirollo Mazzo, Italy 10.50%
Passo dello Stelvio Prato, Italy 7.40%
Las Canadas` Tenerife, Spain 5.40%
Angliru Asturias, Spain 9.94%
Col de le Madeleine La Chambre, France 7.70%
Mont Ventoux Bedoin, France 7.10%
Col de Portet Saint Lary Soulan, France 7.90%
Col du Galibier Le Chatelard, France 5.50%
Col du Tourmalet Luz Saint Sauvier, France 7.40%
Col du Glandon La Chambre, France 6.90%
Plateau de Beille Les Cabannes, France 7.90%
Col de Pailheres Usson Les Bains, France 8.10%
Parks Creek Summit 1st Climb Shasta, California 7.80%
Mt. Shasta 4th Climb Shasta, California 6.10%
Alpe d'Huez Bourg d'Oisans, France 7.70%
Port Angeles to Hurricane Ridge Olympic National Park, Washington 5.20%
Monitor Pass, East Side Markleeville, California 6.47%
Mumbo Summit 2nd Climb Shasta, California 6.00%
Monitor Pass, West Side Markleeville, California 6.20%
Stevens Canyon to Backbone Ridge to Paradise Mt. Rainier, Washington 4.32%
Cayuse/Chinook (RAMROD Direction) Mt. Rainier, Washington 5.07%
Castle Lake 3rd Climb Shasta, California 6.00%
Ebbett's Pass, East Side Markleeville, California 4.43%
Cayuse (RAMROD Direction) Mt. Rainier, Washington 5.42%
Nisqually Entrance to Paradise Mt. Rainier, Washington 3.75%
Longmire to Paradise Mt. Rainier, Washington 4.65%
Carson Pass, East Side Markleeville, California 4.03%
White River Bridge to Sunrise Lodge Mt. Rainier, Washington 4.67%
Box Canyon to Paradise Mt. Rainier, Washington 4.30%

·
Registered
735 Posts
A-Rod

I put my name in today as well. What do they do with all the money of the people that don't get in? Small price to pay for motivation.

Anyway I would ask another question- why not go up and ride the sections of road you are curious about before the day of the event? I might try to do that- that is- if the traffic is not too bad on those sections during the week. Luckily I have a friend who has done it a few times, so if I get in and get some good info on the climbs- I will post it here. Damn- 10 hours in the saddle- never done that before...........MTT :eek:

·
Registered
253 Posts
MTT said:
I put my name in today as well. What do they do with all the money of the people that don't get in? Small price to pay for motivation.

Anyway I would ask another question- why not go up and ride the sections of road you are curious about before the day of the event? I might try to do that- that is- if the traffic is not too bad on those sections during the week. Luckily I have a friend who has done it a few times, so if I get in and get some good info on the climbs- I will post it here. Damn- 10 hours in the saddle- never done that before...........MTT :eek:

They refund the money. If you are prepared and ride your ride, it is a challenge but nothing insurmountable. Remember, when you get to the top of Paradise, you are halfway home. Cayuse is actually steeper than the Paradise climb and if it is hot, it is defintely harder. To me, the hardest part is the headwind after you have descended Cayuse back to Mud Mountain Road. Also, use caution on the railroad crossing between the east end of Alder Lake and the park entrance.

I would definitely do the climbs in advance. Unless it is a holiday, the weekdays are usually very low traffic volumes. A nice loop is to park in Ashford at the Whitaker Bunkhouse, ride up and over Paradise and turn right after exiting the park on the Stevens Canyon Entrance (for RAMROD you will turn left and climb Cayuse). Then when you get to Packwood at the Shell/Subway is a paved forest service road called Skate Creek Road. It climbs at a very moderate grade for about 11 miles and then descends a little and brings you back to Hwy 706 about 4 miles east of Ashford, turn left and ride back to the car. This route is 86 miles. The next time you go park in Packwood and climb White Pass, descend and climb Cayuse and continue on up to Chinook and then descend back to the car. You can refuel with water at the top of White Pass and at the Entrance to Mt. Rainier or Ohanepecosh Camp Ground on the way up Cayuse/Chinook. If you make it back one more time, you can do White Pass, Paradise from the east side and then Cayuse/Chinook. RAMROD will be relatively easy if you taper prior to the ride after doing all of those rides.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Anyone know by what point in the coming weeks/months the route will be passable/ridable? (I have no idea what the conditions are like up there.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts