Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea: I've been reading posts by The Sky Above, Tar Below for months and months covering every conceivable topic regarding the new Madone 5.2. Haven't heard a peep from him now that he's finally purchased the bike. Just wondering if anyone has heard any riding impressions from him... LOL

· Registered
270 Posts
I guess it's a bad time to ask. My bike threw the chain off last evening, going from the big front ring to the small. I got grease on my hands putting it on, and although I tried to wipe it off on my shirt, much of it got on my white handlebar tape!

All of the grease came off the tape when I wiped it with a damp rag. Another thing that's happening is that the chain rub I described in another post, where there is rub against the front derailleur in the largest gears, is creeping back. Any idea why this is?

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
the sky above said:
I guess it's a bad time to ask. My bike threw the chain off last evening, going from the big front ring to the small. I got grease on my hands putting it on, and although I tried to wipe it off on my shirt, much of it got on my white handlebar tape!

All of the grease came off the tape when I wiped it with a damp rag. Another thing that's happening is that the chain rub I described in another post, where there is rub against the front derailleur in the largest gears, is creeping back. Any idea why this is?
Minor adjustments are common with new bikes. As I see it, you've got two choices:

1. Drive the 25 miles to the semi - LBS and have them readjust the f/ der.

2. Go back to the post where you're given detailed instructions on how to adjust the der. and do it yourself. (The adjustment screw for the problem you describe is right next to the one outlined in the post - and in Shimano's tech document)

· Registered
398 Posts
the sky above said:

You may want to check to make sure the pinchbolt is tight enough to not allow the cable to slip.

Better include a ride report (your impression of the feel and handling characteristics of the bike) with your next post or I think 08Madone will implode.:)

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the sky above said:

TRIPLE!! Sky - sounds as if you need to get your bike over to the LBS and have the whole drivetrain adjusted properly. I had a Trek with a triple several years ago and once you get everything dialed in, you should stop having these problems.

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotcha, ok, so that simplifies matters even more. It just needs to be fine tuned. It can take several hundred miles to get a new bike dialed in properly. When it is dialed in, then its only a matter of making small adjustments from time to time. I think you will see in time that things will settle down and you won't have any issues with your FD. Have you gotten the hang of trimming the FD using the STI lever yet? Its a great way to adjust on the fly so as to minimize any rubbing of the chain on the FD.

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the sky above said:
Yea, duh, I can trim the front derailleur. Now, how do the breaks work? Do I squeeze them or is there a button?
Sky, easy there tough guy. I mean you don't even know how to get the chain back on without getting your hands dirty! Some of your posts make it sound like you're a rookie, so relax the tude.
By the way, maybe if you tried using your BRAKES as opposed to your "breaks," you might have some better success stopping. I will tell you now, that when you run into a car with a carbon bike, your frame will in all likelihood get damaged.:thumbsup:

· Registered
270 Posts
08Madone5.2 said:
Sky, easy there tough guy. I mean you don't even know how to get the chain back on without getting your hands dirty! Some of your posts make it sound like you're a rookie, so relax the tude.
By the way, maybe if you tried using your BRAKES as opposed to your "breaks," you might have some better success stopping. I will tell you now, that when you run into a car with a carbon bike, your frame will in all likelihood get damaged.:thumbsup:
Holy cow! I can't believe I misspelled that word. I hate it when people do that. BTW, how do I get the chain back on without getting my hands dirty? My pure, white handlbar tape will thank you.

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apply gentle pressure to the front derailleur shifter like you were shifting to the big ring and at the same time turn the pedal very slowly. Try it, it works.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
08Madone5.2 said:
:idea: I've been reading posts by The Sky Above, Tar Below for months and months covering every conceivable topic regarding the new Madone 5.2. Haven't heard a peep from him now that he's finally purchased the bike. Just wondering if anyone has heard any riding impressions from him... LOL
Riding impressions from that troll? Are you serious? He doesn't even know how to use the "break"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.