Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird love/hate relationship with them. I'll buy one of their albums, enjoy it and then not listen to them for years. Joshua Tree is probably one of my all time favorites, and I haven't listened to it in years.

I blame my college roommate. He loved u2 with an unhealthy obsession. At the time, Zooropa was their latest. We listened to every friggen u2 tape he had ad nauseum.

Anyhow, I wasn't too impressed with the "get on your boots" single......but some of the other tracks are quite good.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Overrated, overproduced, overexposed, group.....with a heart. Today's MoodyBlues.

IMO

len

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
FIRSTQQQ!!

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
They ain't no Elvis Costello. :D

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, yup and yup. I'm not a u2 superfan, but they do some things right.

Oh, I forgot to add.........suck it, haters.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Okay... I have to admit this now.

I cannot stand U2.

As in... I really, really detest them and I don't understand why they are so popular / why they exist / how they ever made it / how anyone can stand to listen to them.

I don't know if I can express how deeply seeded my dislike for them is. It is beyond anything words or actions can express. If I built a gigantic structure made of jagged steel that was shot up and burned black that dripped human blood and shot flames and shattered glass out from every which angle while rotating and smashing in to dead decaying maggoty bodies nailed to the earth with rusty shards of steel... that would not begin to describe how I felt about them.

Yeah, it's that serious.

joe

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
JoeDaddio said:

I cannot stand U2.

As in... I really, really detest them and I don't understand why they are so popular / why they exist / how they ever made it / how anyone can stand to listen to them.

I don't know if I can express how deeply seeded my dislike for them is. It is beyond anything words or actions can express. If I built a gigantic structure made of jagged steel that was shot up and burned black that dripped human blood and shot flames and shattered glass out from every which angle while rotating and smashing in to dead decaying maggoty bodies nailed to the earth with rusty shards of steel... that would not begin to describe how I felt about them.

Yeah, it's that serious.

joe
I knew there was some reason I liked you.

len

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JoeDaddio said:

I cannot stand U2.

Yeah, it's that serious.

joe
It's because you're an indie hipster douchebag. :D

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
I don't know if I can express how deeply seeded my dislike for them is. It is beyond anything words or actions can express. If I built a gigantic structure made of jagged steel that was shot up and burned black that dripped human blood and shot flames and shattered glass out from every which angle while rotating and smashing in to dead decaying maggoty bodies nailed to the earth with rusty shards of steel...

I don't like U2 either but ^that^ sounds pretty awesome.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
KenB said:
I don't like U2 either but ^that^ sounds pretty awesome.
I liked U2 up to about Joshua Tree...then they lost it.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Not a U2 fan. Never owned an album, never will. None of the members are particularly skilled at their craft.
But, I did see them live and I must admit it was the most well rehearsed show I have ever seen. Just not my kind of music.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
My thoughts as well

Bocephus Jones II said:
I liked U2 up to about Joshua Tree...then they lost it.
They have had a song here or there that was good....

But since Joshua, there has not been a completely palatable album for my tastes. Overproduced and they had lost that raw edge and sound. It all just became more and more.

I dig the Edge, however. He has a pretty cool haunting sound. He's as unique as a Johnny Marr stylistically.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I love U2. I like pretty much their entire catalog. I watched Letterman last night and was not all that impressed with the song at first, but about halfway through it sort of clicked with me. I still don't love it. But that is par for the course with me. Because every new album is so different than the ones that preceded it, it usually takes me a few listens to get in sync and really get what they are doing. Then it's like I receive total consciousness. U2 is pure genius, like it or not.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
I dont like when people talk during songs

mohair_chair said:
I watched Letterman last night and was not all that impressed with the song at first, but about halfway through it sort of clicked with me. I still don't love it. .
It is distracting when people talk and dont sing during the song. I thought the song, despite that spoken and somewhat frenetic sounding verse... something about letting a man he didnt know into his home... it sounded rushed and blah. Im right there with you. The rest was somewhat catchy.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Wow I'm out of touch. I love the older U2 stuff; didn't even know they were releasing a new album.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
funknuggets said:
They have had a song here or there that was good....

But since Joshua, there has not been a completely palatable album for my tastes. Overproduced and they had lost that raw edge and sound. It all just became more and more.

I did the Edge, however. He has a pretty cool haunting sound. He's as unique as a Johnny Marr stylistically.
Yes, the Edge is great but everyone else is kinda meh. Sometimes Bono hits it but often he's trying to hard and politically I agree with him but that gets old too.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts