Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
We ride up there every so often. As soon as you get out of town there are lots of nice back country roads.

Fresh country air too-Pennsylvania Amish style!

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
stickystuff said:
was planning to bring the bike. is there any decent riding?
Lot's of nice farm roads from my limited experience, the problem which is similar to what I've run into down here in NC, is knowing which roads to avoid. You don't want to end up on some two-lane road that on the map doesn't look terribly different from any of the other roads but ends up being heavily traveled because it's the main route from point A to B.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Great riding, but avoid the main roads- 22, 39, 322, 422 etc, especially this time of year. Hersheypark Drive is darn near suicide during the summer. You might check out the Harrisburg Bicycle Club for some ideas- they had cue sheets up for awhile, or motionbased.com. There's a lot of stuff in the area from Garmin users.

·
In the zone.
163 Posts
This area is fantastic for riding. It's easiest to find if you look south. There's a really small town called deodate between hershey and elizabethtown. If you avoid 743 and ride around there, you cannot go wrong. I know people from colorado who come to the central PA area to train because of the many open country roads with very little traffic.

·
Registered
123 Posts
stickystuff said:
was planning to bring the bike. is there any decent riding?
I'll second Becky about avoiding HP drive and the main routes right around the park. I live right in the middle of the town of hershey and usually find myself either riding to the east or the south of town. It's mostly flat/rolling open farm land. 322 isnt bad once you get on the east side of hershey. Very wide shoulder and well paved. The north side of hershey gets hillier. If you have the time for longer rides, you can go to the south mt gretna and into the north side of lancaster county (from google maps its sort of a triangle between I76 , I283 and PA 72, search for rapho,pa). Basically its uninterrupted farmland with miles of interconnected roads. The terrain is fairly rolling. You can spend hours mixing and matching different routes.

I'd avoid going west. The further to the west you go (toward harrisburg) the worse traffic will become. Harrisburg has a greenway trail that circles the city. The part along the river is nice for an easy ride / jog, but since its fairly popular, not good for fast paced riding.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
MB1 said:
Fresh country air too-Pennsylvania Amish style!
Ah yes, I love the smell of freshly spread manure in the morning. Reminds me of mucking the stalls at my neighbors farm when I was a kid.

I used to work in Harrisburg 20 years ago, just west of Hershey. You definitely want to avoid anything between Harrisburg & Hershey. But to the east there were some nice roads around Lebanon & Palmyra. I hope it has not become too developed in the last 20 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.