Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rode over last Saturday from NY, which we do a few times a year. We are now looking to go towards Westport area and do a ride. Just curious as to what to expect for road conditions in that area?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Cycling from Ottawa to Kingston via Perth & Westport.

About 1/2 way down the page there is the recommended route from Westport to Kingston. We have driven this road and it is windy & a bit hilly, but there wasn't too much traffic. I would stay off Hwy 15 as it has too much traffic, including transports trucks. Because of all the lakes in the area, you are limited to the number of good, paved roads if you are looking to do any type of distance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Not sure how familiar you are with the area but we are looking at the following route as a possibility.
Start in Perth Road Village, head to Westport on Rt 10. Take Rts 8 and 12 to Godfrey. Take Rt 38 towards Verona. Then Dessert Lake Rd to Rt 19 to Sydenham. Take Rt 5 back to Rt 10.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the roads, we normally boat to Westport, not drive. There is a member (brucew) on here who has a cottage in Westport, he may be able to help you out more. Perhaps send him a PM.

I believe hwy 38 is in decent shape, but I'm pretty sure the others are not in great shape and won't have any kind of paved shoulder. Because of the terrain in that area, the roads tend to be windy, hilly & narrow, so a lot of blind spots for cars. If you bike on a quiet day, it should be OK traffic wise. Hwy 38 you may get some transports.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.