Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please keep this non-PO.

My wife and I were about to plan a trip to Costa Rica when the shutdown got in the way. We're thinking of taking that trip in January 2022 and we're at the point where we could start booking stuff. We would get trip insurance just in case, and as of now it's required for entry to CR. But the rising cases, unknowns, etc. It seems like the best bet would be to hold off on booking anything until a week before the trip but that's not our style (or bank account).

Is anyone else looking into international travel this year? What pro-cons or other considerations are factoring into your plans?

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
Probably not ... but not due to the pandemic.

Both my wife and I are vaccinated, so I wouldn't have an issue traveling out of the country ... heck, it's probably safer than going anywhere in the southern United States right now.

With that said, there is a possibility of a Caribbean trip around Christmas or Spring break (my wife is a teacher) ... so, it's possible we could take a trip.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Please keep this non-PO.

My wife and I were about to plan a trip to Costa Rica when the shutdown got in the way. We're thinking of taking that trip in January 2022 and we're at the point where we could start booking stuff. We would get trip insurance just in case, and as of now it's required for entry to CR. But the rising cases, unknowns, etc. It seems like the best bet would be to hold off on booking anything until a week before the trip but that's not our style (or bank account).

Is anyone else looking into international travel this year? What pro-cons or other considerations are factoring into your plans?
I probably will wait another year. I am not worried about getting sick (the whole family is vaccinated) but I would be worried about things shutting down and restrictions ruining the experience. I wonder if travel insurance has become a lot more expensive because of COVID

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
A couple friends and I have a fishing trip to British Columbia planned for next month. It looks like the requirements are to submit proof of vaccination more than 14 days before entry and a molecular covid test less than 72 hours before entry to the ArriveCAN app. We're also supposed to notify CA customs of our quarantine plan, if needed. Our plan is to be in the wilderness out of human contact for 10 days, so hope that qualifies. US Customs said no problem re-entering for returning Americans.

·
Master debator.
8,772 Posts
We're going to France, Italy, and Switzerland in August. As of now I'm doing UTMB CCC and then some other touristy stuff. They have really been messing with our flights, it seems like there is a change every week as airlines cancel some flights and try to fill up others. We're spending the money on travel insurance, and staying with Delta as much as we can. We had an epic battle getting our money back from Iceland air after a flight cancellation through Expedia, Expedia sucks when you have to go through them for support.

·
Master debator.
8,772 Posts
I probably will wait another year. I am not worried about getting sick (the whole family is vaccinated) but I would be worried about things shutting down and restrictions ruining the experience. I wonder if travel insurance has become a lot more expensive because of COVID
Yea that is the big worry for us right now. I've flown twice domestically this year, no problems so far. Really worried about the continuation of this lack of vaccination here in the U.S. No issues travelling around the U.S., but other countries may impose a travel ban on us again because we are stupid. Look how the Olympics are being affected, and even things like the NFL.

I don't want this to go to PO, but our plans to travel to new Zealand get bumped another year again because of this crap, it will really suck. We had planned on going over the holidays in 2019/2020, and as of now have flights for February 2022.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
US Customs said no problem re-entering for returning Americans.
I wonder if that's specific to US/Canada border crossings. Unless something changes, we'll need to provide proof of a negative Covid test taken within 48 hours of our return flight. That's one logistical hassle given our plans to be in a remote area during the last few days of our trip.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
I've done a lot of international traveling in the past and because I have limited money and vacation time it's been at the expense of not seeing some great places in my own country, the USA. My logic was travel internationally while I can because I can always easily travel in my own country any time it the future. Now is that time. Dealing with testing and vaccination requirements doesn't sound like that big of a deal but it's enough to prompt to see some things at home I've been putting off instead.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My logic was travel internationally while I can because I can always easily travel in my own country any time it the future.
This has always been our philosophy too. I'm actually a little disappointed at how much time we've spent in Hawaii at the expense of postponing trips to other places.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yea that is the big worry for us right now. I've flown twice domestically this year, no problems so far. Really worried about the continuation of this lack of vaccination here in the U.S. No issues travelling around the U.S., but other countries may impose a travel ban on us again because we are stupid. Look how the Olympics are being affected, and even things like the NFL.

I don't want this to go to PO, but our plans to travel to new Zealand get bumped another year again because of this crap, it will really suck. We had planned on going over the holidays in 2019/2020, and as of now have flights for February 2022.
Oh, we're stupid alright but not for the reasons you're implying(?). Other countries are actually allowing travellers who are vaccinated OR recovered from Covid, which makes so much sense in the grand scheme of things. Just not here in the good ol' USA, where actual science takes a back seat to pseudoscience and sadly, politics. I pray it gets better as it is making my job increasingly more difficult, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

That said, I will definitely take the opportunity to travel internationally given the chance (Belgium is calling for the Classics next year, as is Spain), but for now it's domestic trips.

·
Super Moderator
19,516 Posts
We had hoped to travel. We were gonna do either Greece or Poland. This Delta variant has put everything on hold. We're vaccinated but don't want to have to deal with the prospect of testing positive before the plane flight back to the USA. We live in Hawaii so we'll prolly go to Honolulu for a day or two instead.

·
For Rent
308 Posts
I was in Canada 5 weeks ago by accident. Doing some gravel roads in upstate Vermont with my friends daughter and we just rode north. After a while I found it odd that all the license plates were Canadian, not to mention the Canadian flags. A quick look at the phone confirmed we were 7 Km into Canada :oops: I didn't realize that some of those backboards have no "real" border crossing!

I was in Croatia visiting family in May, no real issues except the test to and from. Staying at relitives house and using their cars to get around so YMMV with hotels and car rentals.

·
Registered
870 Posts
We went to Mexico a few weeks ago and it was awesome. They told me they were running at 50% of normal for tourism.
Everyone was really happy to see us, the locals were still all masked up per local regs, but probably 20% of the tourists had them on.
We did have to get a test 72 hrs before returning to the US. It was provided for us at our hotel and cost $20US each. I was secretly hoping to pop positive so I would have to stay.

With the new Delta V going around it seems like the fear level is headed up. Right now I would be concerned that things would get shut down, ruining my vacation.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I renewed my Global Entry card. Was easy after the original hoop jumping to get it.
Why? Gives me Trusted Traveler privileges.
Probably not gonna use it/travel internationally for awhile.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I renewed my Global Entry card. Was easy after the original hoop jumping to get it.
Why? Gives me Trusted Traveler privileges.
Probably not gonna use it/travel internationally for awhile.
The Delta variant is certainly a game changer. Countries like Australia, Korea and Japan that seemed to do a good job containing it are now unable to keep the numbers down with the containment approach they were using. Its starting to look look a vaccine will not be enough to end this

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lack of detailed information and/or information that's sensationalized about anything virus related is not helping.

I feel like any statement made, will be picked apart.

·
Opus was just napping
21,591 Posts
We're going to France, Italy, and Switzerland in August. As of now I'm doing UTMB CCC and then some other touristy stuff. They have really been messing with our flights, it seems like there is a change every week as airlines cancel some flights and try to fill up others. We're spending the money on travel insurance, and staying with Delta as much as we can. We had an epic battle getting our money back from Iceland air after a flight cancellation through Expedia, Expedia sucks when you have to go through them for support.

Good Luck, although my guess is that if you went you are already there getting acclimated with the UTMB slate of races getting started next week.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
May need to travel internationally for work this fall. It's very touch and go with the constantly changing requirements. Fully vaccinated of course, but I do worry about the risk of testing positive before the trip home and potentially being stuck abroad for weeks.

The trip/virus itself don't worry me. The incidence of Delta is higher where I am now than the places I would be likely to go.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
Yep

1 - 20 of 28 Posts