Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,772 Posts
Good Luck, although my guess is that if you went you are already there getting acclimated with the UTMB slate of races getting started next week.
We leave next Tuesday. Still last minute changes to our return flights, hopefully resolved with no more changes. There is a lot of little details regarding covid documents etc. but gradually getting things sorted out. I think the race will be the easiest part of it all. We scheduled rapid tests in the Zurich airport the night before we fly back here etc.

But it's worse for unvaccinated travelers, I wouldn't even do it if I wasn't.

·
Opus was just napping
21,587 Posts
We leave next Tuesday. Still last minute changes to our return flights, hopefully resolved with no more changes. There is a lot of little details regarding covid documents etc. but gradually getting things sorted out. I think the race will be the easiest part of it all. We scheduled rapid tests in the Zurich airport the night before we fly back here etc.

But it's worse for unvaccinated travelers, I wouldn't even do it if I wasn't.
Good Luck and enjoy, especially with even big races beginning to be postponed or cancelled again (like Kona).

Reactions: shrubs

·
Opus was just napping
21,587 Posts
Just an update on this thread, the UTMB had a tragic accident in one of its races and a racer died after a fall. While not the same race as Nooky is doing it is essentially the same course (the UTMB has several races over the course of a week or so of various distances), and it goes to show just how dangerous the sport can be. Hopefully Nooky and everyone else will have a safe race.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The incidence of Delta is higher where I am now than the places I would be likely to go.
It's looking like that for me as well. I checked the CDC website for Costa Rica travel information and it says "avoid travel to CR, Level 4, Very High, etc.".

I thought, "that's a real bummer". Then I did some math.

Total per capita cases; CR 9%, USA 12%
Per capita daily cases (as of a couple days ago); CR 0.06%, USA 0.5%.

Maybe I should just move there permanently.

·
Master debator.
8,772 Posts
Just an update on this thread, the UTMB had a tragic accident in one of its races and a racer died after a fall. While not the same race as Nooky is doing it is essentially the same course (the UTMB has several races over the course of a week or so of various distances), and it goes to show just how dangerous the sport can be. Hopefully Nooky and everyone else will have a safe race.

It was the talk of the town for days. My race went okay, 22 hours for 100k or just over 20 minutes a mile. That really equates to hiking lol, but there was 20,000 feet of climbing. The things I worried about the most ended up being non-issues. Our covid vaccination card from the U.S. was accepted everywhere. The covid test to come back to the U.S. the night before was negative and of course being around all of those people for that long there was always a concern.

Covid really effed up travel, all those additional people required to process all of the tests and protocols etc. in airports and ristorantes was tedious.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Went to B.C., Canada Aug. 18. Had to have molecular Covid test no more than 72 hours before entering Canada, so we got tests at UW Medicine, north in Seattle on the 16th. Had negative results that evening. Needed to upload those to ArriveCAN app. Got to the border crossing around 9 AM the 18th. Our uploaded results were in the border agent's computer system, so showed him our passports and vax cards and were good to go. Almost. As the only non-commercial vehicle at the crossing, the computer system randomly selected us for another Covid test, so we pulled ahead to the little Canadian Covid gazebo. Not difficult, just more steps to go through. Upload, or is it download the Canadian Life Labs app, fill out forms, self perform nostril and inner cheek swabs, insert in test tube, insert in plastic zip lock bag, insert another filled out form, and finally, 40 minutes later we were in Canada and on our way. And the fishing was pretty decent too.

·
Opus was just napping
21,587 Posts
It was the talk of the town for days. My race went okay, 22 hours for 100k or just over 20 minutes a mile. That really equates to hiking lol, but there was 20,000 feet of climbing. The things I worried about the most ended up being non-issues. Our covid vaccination card from the U.S. was accepted everywhere. The covid test to come back to the U.S. the night before was negative and of course being around all of those people for that long there was always a concern.

Covid really effed up travel, all those additional people required to process all of the tests and protocols etc. in airports and ristorantes was tedious.
Glad you had a good race, 20k of climbing...Harumph Harumph!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts