Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
There are a lot of people that use Look pedals. They make quality products. Its hard to say without knowing a of the details like cleat wear. If the cleat was worn too thin, it would not take too much to snap off.

I got about 2 seasons out of mine, but should have probably changed them much sooner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
largegiant04 said:
There are a lot of people that use Look pedals. They make quality products. Its hard to say without knowing a of the details like cleat wear. If the cleat was worn too thin, it would not take too much to snap off.

I got about 2 seasons out of mine, but should have probably changed them much sooner.
Two seasons, I think I'm well over due...thanks...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Walkinshaw said:
i snapped my cleats last week, sure they were 6yrs old.......

no complaints with the new teflon lined units, no squeeks at all

I have the teflon cleats (white parts on the cleat) after having used the old red arc cleats for so long. The teflon cleats still squeak for me. With the old Look red arc cleats, once the cleat started getting a little old the squeaking would start coming on. The new cleats are better, but they too start squeaking after some wear. At least for me it does.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Been using look since the late 80's. I've only experienced problems when the cleats got worn out or broken. I used Look Keo Carbon's for the past 5 years. When they came out. I think they are great.
I have experienced cleat squeak. I use Pedro's Silicone Polish after cleaning with a rag. I rub it on, then wipe it down thoroughly. Never had a problem.
One main reason I use them is for the the large platform.
I feel so secure when sprinting and hard out of the saddle climbing. I've tried other brands, and use Shimano SPD's on my mountain bike. The Looks are an excellent design and allow for a sure fit.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I've used Looks since the 80s. The Delta (old style) cleats squeaked, but they could easily be silenced by spraying the cleat & pedals with WD40 where they contacted ea. other. The Look Keo cleats require new pedals and cleats. I've used them for about 3 years now & have never had a squeak. If I ever do, I'd try the same cure.

I think the Keos are somewhat better than the Deltas. They're easier to clip into, quieter, and I think, a bit smaller and lighter. Not sure of this last point. Although I love my Looks, I will say this: the cleats wear quickly, and they are VERY slippery to walk on. If you get them get a pair of cleat covers at the same time. You'll need them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yep, two years is about their max. They have a wear indicator. I went a little past mine and now notice some grooves/marks on the pedal from waiting too long.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
LOOKS are the best for me....

I have used LOOK pedals for many years. I do think the old style delta pedals are the easiest and most user friendly pedals ever made. For one, the old style were weighted so that a natural foot to pedal clip in was so easy. The new KEO's take a little more thinking to get into. I never had the "hot spot" problems some riders complain about. Too bad LOOK gave up their patent and are not making their original Delta pedal anymore. Why change for something new when you had it right the first time?

·
Just one more switchback
237 Posts
once a year

I usually replace mine once a year whether they look worn or not. Cleats are cheap, dentures are expensive.

·
Registered
494 Posts
High Gear said:
I have used LOOK pedals for many years. I do think the old style delta pedals are the easiest and most user friendly pedals ever made. For one, the old style were weighted so that a natural foot to pedal clip in was so easy. The new KEO's take a little more thinking to get into. I never had the "hot spot" problems some riders complain about. Too bad LOOK gave up their patent and are not making their original Delta pedal anymore. Why change for something new when you had it right the first time?

Look's redesigned KEO cleat is an improvement over the old Delta cleat in that the new Keo cleat allows for a lower stack height to the pedal so your foot is closer to the pedal spindle. The performance benefits are debatable, but other companies tout an advantage in performance the lower the cleat stack height is. The lower stack height allows for a redesigned lighter pedal as well.

The hot spot phenomenon that many riders get apply mostly to Speedplay and the old SPD pedals since the pedal platform is so small. It isn't generally an issue of riders using Look pedals.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
peds? shouldnt this be in eth doping forum?

anyway, i really cant comment too much, being as i just clicked in to my first set of looks last night for a quick 2 mile rattle of a new build. i was a bit hesitant, as i had tried look knockoffs a few years back. i hated those things so much. impossible to get it and out. even when running minimal tension. and i got nasty hot spots.

well, last night, i felt like i was a sprinter. easy in, easy out, but no mistaken clipouts. the platform is much nicer than the quattros i was running on the bike this was replacing. i need to get in a real ride before im completely sold, but so far...

oh, and i got cleat covers. i slid once without them already. walking is harder in these, even with covers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts