Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for any vets from that race in northern SD next month. I'm considering it as my second-ever RR, but I know it's a hilly course. Rode it a couple years back for a charity ride and it's HARD. Used a triple and was in granny gear for most of the climbs. How harsh is it to hang with the Cat5s?

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
chang100 said:
Just looking for any vets from that race in northern SD next month. I'm considering it as my second-ever RR, but I know it's a hilly course. Rode it a couple years back for a charity ride and it's HARD. Used a triple and was in granny gear for most of the climbs. How harsh is it to hang with the Cat5s?
Last time I raced it, I got 6th in the crit the day before and was completely spent come Sunday AM. Got dropped on the first hill. Caught back on by the bottom of the first 'real' climb (to old 395) and gapped again. That's all she wrote that day!

I've since trained on the course extensively, the start/finish is at the top of a stair-step climb keeping the sprinters (like me) at bay. Takes a Rouleur to do well.

If you're in your triple, don't expect to stay with the field.

Basic survival strategy if you can't climb applies: start at the front and hope you can catch the rear end of the pack at the top. Recover in the pack for a bit, then move back to the front by the time the climbs start again.

HTH,

M

1 - 2 of 2 Posts