Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
if there's no one who's tried them here, fwiw...

These random brands do have the proper carbon manufacturing equipment and are likely playing off a proven/developed design. I have a seatpost that resembles AlphaQ and Colnago's posts and it has been functionally sound for 2 almost two years of constant use. While I do have an inclination against counterfeiting, it came with the Ridley frame I bought used, works perfectly, and I wouldn't dare alter the exact fit atm.

But that being said, quality control is a mystery. While it's not saying much, it's easier to evade potential injury with a failing seatpost. Handlebars...well god forbid you're on a descent if those fail.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
The knock offs aren't any safer than the higher priced equivalent IMHO.

I do own a Pedal Force frame, I've crashed it in races and it's still fine. If it fails along the line I don't think a higher priced carbon frame would have done any better/worse.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have that same handlebar from a different manufacturer... It worked fine for the time I had it, my only complaint with it was the fact that the "grippy" section of carbon where the sti's mount is too low, and in order for the bar/sti to fit properly I had to secure to smooth carbon. As to having a "flat top" bar, depending on your exact fit, these will not make you happy. Due to the previously mentioned issue, I had to tilt them at such an angle that the tops weren't flat at all (90mm stem +10deg, 1" stack on a 56cm frame and I'm 5'10)".

I raced a full collegiate season with them and then sold the bike but kept those bars to repurpose them somewhere. They were nice and stiff, plenty comfortable, and they survived a a few crashes. So yea, try em out, I gambled on them and feel like I came out ahead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.