Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used Italian road bike and it came with a stripped bottom bracket. My coworker that I bought it from put a Mavic bottom bracket on it (the kind that does not need to thread onto the BB shell) but I'm hoping to repair it or convert it to a 68mm English BB. The question is whether or not I can find a good shop to do this in the SFBA? I live on the Peninsula, in Daly City but don't mind driving if a good shop means that I can get this done right.

I have not opened up the BB as I just got the bike today but I will be doing so in the next few days.

·
Anti-bling
274 Posts
Squidward said:
I just bought a used Italian road bike and it came with a stripped bottom bracket. My coworker that I bought it from put a Mavic bottom bracket on it (the kind that does not need to thread onto the BB shell) but I'm hoping to repair it or convert it to a 68mm English BB. The question is whether or not I can find a good shop to do this in the SFBA? I live on the Peninsula, in Daly City but don't mind driving if a good shop means that I can get this done right.

I have not opened up the BB as I just got the bike today but I will be doing so in the next few days.
It might be a bit far for you but the sole guy at Slough's Bike Shoppe, (George, I think) on Race St, San Jose did a very good job straightening a badly bent derailleur hanger on a steel frame of mine. He's got all sorts of old bikes there so that would be the first place I'd try for any unusual or non-standard repairs on an old bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts