Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have (or even remember) a Tesch road bike? I have a 55cm handbuilt by Dave Tesch himself in 1987. Meticulous craftsmanship and flawless red paint. Outfitted in all
Dura-Ace (with the exception of a Campy seatpost and Cinelli bars and stem).

A bike I'll never part with.... :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
mmm... Tesch....

pd417 said:
Anyone have (or even remember) a Tesch road bike? I have a 55cm handbuilt by Dave Tesch himself in 1987. Meticulous craftsmanship and flawless red paint. Outfitted in all

Is that an S-22 or a 101? IIRC, the 101 was the lugged custom bike, and the S-22 was the fillet-brazed, oversized tube production model. I always wanted one. At some point a Tesch would make a nice addition to the stable. Tesch bikes were known for being quick handling, how's yours?

We has a neon orange S-22 in the shop last month. The guy couldn't get the fixed cup out of the BB shell. I tried once, and failed, but I didn't want to run the risk of damaging an irreplacable classic, so I stopped after that. Beautiful bike.

I think Dave Tesch may have passed away recently. Sad news if true.

How 'bout some pics? Share the love!!

--Shannon, jealous in San Diego, CA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's a 101. The bike handles as good or better than todays aluminum or composite frames. Light, quick and very nimble. I've had many, many bikes in my life, but this is one that is an absolute joy to ride.

Here are a few photos:

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Nice!!!

That's one incredible bike in like new condition. Made my day.

What's with the C Record post? Nice shape as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks!

When I bought the bike, the seat post failed to ship with the rest of the gruppo. Ordering one back then would take over three weeks. Being anxious and wanting to ride my new bike, I decided a C-Record post instead. I know it's not consistent with the rest of the Dura-Ace, but it really looks nice.

boneman said:
That's one incredible bike in like new condition. Made my day.

What's with the C Record post? Nice shape as well.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
I remember them clearly. Gorgeous to look at. I test-rode one at Hector's Bike shop in Sherman Oaks, CA in the mid 80's.. I liked it a lot, but I'd just bought another bike about a year before and wasn't yet ready to put that one out to pasture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I purchased the bike in early 1987 from a small shop in Temple City, CA. Sadly, I can't recall the type of steel used. The rest of the bike is outfitted with all Dura-Ace with down tube shifters. Rear cluster is a 12-24, front chain rings are 42-52. Cinelli bars and stem. Shimano clipless (Look compatible) pedals. Mavic MA-40 rims.

=======

Regarding Dave's untimely passing, as I was looking on Cyclingforums.com, I came across a note from Dave's Sister:

I am Dave's sister. I want to thank you all for your observations. We are very fortunate that Dave moved back to Milwaukee these last two years. He was happy as he has every been up to the time the trouble started on February 26, 2003. He suffered terribly this last six months, but did it with strength and dignity, always believing that he would survive.

We are furtunate to be able to spend time with him and hear his astounding stories. The most astounding part was that they were true!! He worked for a great Cadillac dealership in Milwaukee and was able to make many new friends while getting up to date with his old ones.

Dave was actually starting to set up a workshop to build frames again, but did not have the time. If anyone wants any more information, please feel free to contact me. I will be sure to share with our parents and family.

I liked the comment: Ride On-- Dave --- In our hearts and in our souls.

Thank you,
Ann Marie Schulz

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had an S-22, loved it....but

I sold it to get a carbon bike. I desperately wish I still had it. One of the nicest riding bikes I ever owned. (stiff and quick) Gorgeous to look at too, candy red with the Flintstone bedrock type Tesch decals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
pd417 said:
Anyone have (or even remember) a Tesch road bike? ,,)
I have a 1987 Specialized Team Allez built by Dave Tesch with full Dura-Ace. The frame has lugged SL/SLX tubing. This bike simply likes to go fast!! Quick, stiff, awesome ride - don't think I'll ever part with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a S22. Got it from a friend of mine about ten years ago. I know Brian Bayliss painted many of these bikes, they had shops across the parking lot from each other in San Marcos CA.
Mine is White and the only road bike I own. Sure i would like some of the new bells and whistles, but I just can't convince myself to replace it as it is so fast, quick to respond and corners very well. It is harder than hell and not what I would call a plush ride.
I am priviledged to own this bike.

P.S.
Every time I ride my mountain bike I swear that i'll never ride a road bike again, until I do and then I swear I'll never ride a mountain bike again. it is a viscious cycle, no pun intended.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Tesch

Funny you should mention Tesch. I traded for a Tesch S-22. I believe it may have been the early 90's and knew nothing about the bike. I then moved to moved to Colorado and began mountain biking. The Tesch has sat unused ever since. Can you tell me a little history and possibly its value?

pd417 said:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very Nice!

I also have a Tesch 101. Its deep blue, and like yours, its a beauty. I found the frame in an Escondido Ca. bike shop in 1994. Its a 54 cm frame that was a perfect fit. I outfitted the frame with a 7sp Campy Chorus gruppo which now has many miles on it and ready to be upgraded to the 10sp gruppo (as soon as I can save the money).

I love the way the bike feels, climbs and handles. I woudn't trade it for anything.

·
Registered
777 Posts
bcrowell said:
Funny you should mention Tesch. I traded for a Tesch S-22. I believe it may have been the early 90's and knew nothing about the bike. I then moved to moved to Colorado and began mountain biking. The Tesch has sat unused ever since. Can you tell me a little history and possibly its value?
The late Dave Tesch worked at the Carlsbad, CA Masi factory in the 1970s. He went into business for himself, producing first the Tesch 101, a custom-fitted lugged Columbus SL / SP frameset. The 101 was one of the quickest handling bikes ever made, with a very short front center, steep headtube angle, and a short-rake fork. On every 101 I've seen, the front tire rides very close to the downtube.

The S-22 was a later model. I think it came out around 1988 - 1989. It was fillet brazed, and used oversized True Temper steel tubing. S-22s were production bikes. They retained Tesch's chosen geometry.. short, upright, and fast.

As to it's value, I have no idea. If it was my bike, it'd have no value, because I'd never sell it. Enjoy your Tesch, it's irreplaceable.

--Shannon

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Didn't he just play at Redrock?

Sorry I couldn't resist. I have heard of the name before. Was he a "flash in the pan". What happened to him. You have guys like Richard Sachs and Brian Bayles still going strong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Shannon:
I was Dave's Partner during those years of the 101 and S-22. Maybe I can answer some questions. I have 4 of his bikes left in my collection. Your facts are basically correct. Although quick handling, the bikes were very stable in any race situation.
Glenn

tube_ee said:
The late Dave Tesch worked at the Carlsbad, CA Masi factory in the 1970s. He went into business for himself, producing first the Tesch 101, a custom-fitted lugged Columbus SL / SP frameset. The 101 was one of the quickest handling bikes ever made, with a very short front center, steep headtube angle, and a short-rake fork. On every 101 I've seen, the front tire rides very close to the downtube.

The S-22 was a later model. I think it came out around 1988 - 1989. It was fillet brazed, and used oversized True Temper steel tubing. S-22s were production bikes. They retained Tesch's chosen geometry.. short, upright, and fast.

As to it's value, I have no idea. If it was my bike, it'd have no value, because I'd never sell it. Enjoy your Tesch, it's irreplaceable.

--Shannon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice 101, Mitch. This is one of the best colors we painted on them. It was a translucent blue tint sprayed over white. A real beauty. Mine is grey, a 52 cm with a mostly super record group. Strictly 1986 vintage.
Glenn :D

mitchm101 said:
Here is a pic of me and my Tesch 101 right before the 2004 Rosarito/Ensenda 50 mile ride

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
1 - 20 of 98 Posts