Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm not talking Michael Jackson. I mention this as I was driving home around midnight last night, virtually noone out on the road but me and the moon was blazin' away almost full, bright as could be due to cloudless sky. It got me to thinking about the first moon landing/walk, where I was when I watched it, listening to Walter Cronkite narrating and how exciting it was to watch as a kid on grainy black and white TV. And then I had the thought of trying to explain to someone who knew nothing about the event due to age or ignorance, "oh yeah by the way (pointing at the moon) we have flown there and landed and got out and walked around, several times." The Mars lander and video were exciting and the pictures were stunning and all that was accomplished, but it never came close to the excitement of seeing Neil Armstrong walk down the ladder and drop onto the moon surface. Thats all, just a rambling thought I had last night that is still in my head today. Later today I will be around alot of people who were there with me when that happened.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
I remember my folks waking me up to watch a moon shot on TV. I can't remember if it was THE moon shot, but all I remember is a rocket launching. I couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 at the time.

However, I remember Nixon resigning like it was yesterday :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
After my divorce when I started dating again, one of my criteria was the girl had to be able to tell me where she was when Kennedy was shot. Some couldn't tell me where they were when we walked on the moon.

Me? Aug, 69 I believe listening to the radio coming home from the golf course with my dad. We were both just amazed.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
This date will always be etched in my memory. On July 20, 1969 I watched the first man step foot on the moon at a funeral home. I was 16 and at my fathers wake.

·
Super Moderator
40,833 Posts
Mr Bentwrench said:
After my divorce when I started dating again, one of my criteria was the girl had to be able to tell me where she was when Kennedy was shot...
Ted Kennedy got shot?

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Seems like I remember being in school watching on a TV that they had set up in the classroom.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I was watching...very cool.

len

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I followed every Apollo mission up to 13.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I remember watching the landing on tv and staying up to early in the morning waiting for Armstrong to walk on the moon. I was 7 at the time. That is still one of the greatest acheivements of mankind. I consider myself lucky to be able to watch and remember that moment.

Anybody else remember the little paper models of the moon lander they gave away at the gulf stations?

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
I was only 4 when the first moon landing happened. I don't remember it. I do remember playing with some other kids, pretending we were astronauts, three of us lying on our backs side by side in a big piece of pipe on the playground. Ten ... nine ... eight ... One of the astronauts' names was Bean, and being little kids, we all thought that was really funny. It must have been one of the later missions. .

·
It's complexicated
1,418 Posts
I was 10 yrs old and I remember it like it happened last week. All 4 of us kiddies stayed up way late to see the first moon walk. My brother, who was 12, couldn't keep his eyes open but wanted to see it happen. My father carried him to bed a couple of times, but he kept getting up. Then finally in the wee hours my dad said, "Hey [R...], Man's on the moon!" He said (I'm not making this up), "That's nice" and sleep walked back to bed. He doesn't remember a thing about it.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I was coming back from visiting a friend, and my folks were picking me up at the Greyhound station. I hop off the bus, and they immediately dragged me into an adjacent bar to join the crowd watching it on TV.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I was in the military. One of my coworkers had been a mission controller for Apollo 13.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
I was -5.

But it doesn't matter. It was all a hoax. :D

1 - 20 of 97 Posts