Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to do scouting for gf-friendly trail riding in the gunpowder trails. From what i can gather i see there are a bunch of different trails to explore and im planning to take my cross bike out there to see what its like. So i was wondering if anyone took a cross bike out there and what they thought. Thanks for the help in advance!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't ridden any yet, but I'm planning to soon. The NCR/YCH run along Gunpowder. It's a total of 41 miles from Ashland to York. Pretty much all crush & run stone path with a max 2 to 3% grade. Here's a link to give you an idea. From what I hear it's a really great ride.

http://www.bikewashington.org/trails/ncr/ncr.htm

·
Registered
49 Posts
Depends on what part of the Gunpowder Trail you are riding. There are about 4 different areas to park and none of them connect. I the trail I ride the most is the Little Gunpowder Trail parking at the trailhead on Jerusalem Mill Road. From this section to Route 1 is very tough on a Cross bike. Once you cross Route 1 (Which is a little difficult right now because of construction of an underpass for pedestrians and us bikers :) ) The trails are a little smoother and once you cross Harford Rd, the trails are great for Cross. I usually ride from my apartment, about 7 miles from the trail head, to the trail, cross Route 1, cross Harford Rd. and take the roads back from there. Good 35 mile loop. If you're looking for someone to ride with out there, let me know, I'm always there and live close!

I don't think there are trails at the Hammerman area but I have never been there. There is a whole lot of climbing at the Sweet Air area from what I remember and I wouldn't take my Cross bike there. There is only about a 6 mile at the Big Gunpowder area, again with technical climbs and descents that scare me on a Cross bike!

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,150 Posts
Grim Jones said:
I haven't ridden any yet, but I'm planning to soon. The NCR/YCH run along Gunpowder. It's a total of 41 miles from Ashland to York. Pretty much all crush & run stone path with a max 2 to 3% grade. Here's a link to give you an idea. From what I hear it's a really great ride.

http://www.bikewashington.org/trails/ncr/ncr.htm

I've done the York to Glen Rock area numerous times and it's really really flat and potentially fast if that's your thing. Really enjoyable ride. Haven't done the whole York to Ashland yet. Probably will sometime this year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.