Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about building up my new cross bike with Sram Rival. My other two road bikes are Shimano and I don't plan to change those.

Anyone regularly ride different bikes with Shimano and Sram. Any problems getting used to switching between the one lever action on Sram and Shimano's STI when you hop on the other bike?

·
Registered
768 Posts
My bad weather bike has DA 9 speed and my regular ride has Sram Red. I'm not on the DA bike much these days (summer and all) so I'm not exactly hopping back and forth, but I really don't have huge issues. Even when I originally switched to the Red in the spring, I never had any issue with the shifting. Having said that, very occasionally, I still find myself pushing the Red brake lever and being suprised that it doesn't move:D

Joe

·
Banned
519 Posts
I've got Shimano Dura-Ace 9 speed. I was generally happy with it, even being a long-time Campy-phile. The thing that attracted me to DA was the ease of shifting. I didn't necessarily choose to go with DA over my previous Campy Record group. It was just the component available at the time on a bike that I got a screaming deal with at the bike shop. I actually like the DA group better than the Record group because the shifting action is lighter. You have to use a little more force to shift the Campy stuff, but some people prefer that. Also, after going with Shimano I was sooooo glad not to have to use that Campy thumb shifter again. The thumb shifter is a lot harder to reach in the drops. And with Shimano, I can shift much easier in the drops without that silly Campy thumb shifter.

The one thing that bugged me so much about Shimano that made me switch to SRAM is the aesthetics. I hated how the shift cables stick out on the Shimano STI shifters. So, I switched to SRAM Red after trying a friend's SRAM Force group. If you go with SRAM, my personal opinion is to go with the Force group. Honestly, I couldn't tell too much of a difference between the two groups except for maybe some lighter shift action required on the front derailler for the Red. The cost of Force is lots less.

Comparing the Dura-Ace 9 speed to the SRAM Red. To me, there is no comparison. I'd give the thumbs up to DA all the way. The shifting is more precise. And the double-tap thing really didn't grow on me like people said it would. I still don't like it. The thing is, it's easy to do, but late in a race or ride, sometimes you want to push the lever far enough over (ie longpush) to actually downshift. You might be going uphill, tired from the battle, and oops. You don't push the lever far enough (shortpush) and you actually upshift. This has happened to me usually when I'm tired, in the heat of battle, and when I'm least expecting it. So, for the racer I would recommend DA. It's pure function. If you are just a serious rider and don't race, I'd go with the SRAM.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
I'm running both DA7800 and SRAM Rival bikes right now. SRAM's Double tap system isn't very different than the DA7800, I like how it upshifts rear cogs; tap tap tap to drop from 13 to 12 to 11. Tight - Quick. But downshifting is where the SRAM Rival doesn't stack up as nicely. You have to click through the upshift position to the second downshift detent. It's noisy, with a fair amount of travel. There's an advantage of SRAM over DA in multiple gear downshifting. But it's a lot noiser than DA.

I don't find myself fumbling between the different shifting techniques when switching bikes - that might just be me though. You may be terrible at it. :D

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
This is getting interesting. I have both DA and SRAM Force. Had DA for several years b4 Force.

The minute I rode the SRAM I liked the system way better than DA. The shifting is as smooth and predictable. The single lever is simpler than the 2 lever DA system.

I find that once I am on the SRAM shifters for a ride and then go back to DA I have to adapt to the shifting. Also I want to be shifting the SRAM so I think less of the DA. When I am on the DA as I was all this week, that when I go back to SRAM my adaptation is immediate, it seems more logical, intuitive.

The brake hoods are far more comfortable on SRAM than DA. I am sure this is why Shimano is coming out with reconfigured hoods for 09 - they realize the other guys are more comfortable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got a Red group on my Time VXR and it's great. I also this weekend just built a cross bike with rival and shorty 6 brakes....set up was easy and after the cable stretch it's running perfect. I really do like the sram offering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.