Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the market for a saddle. I was leaning towards a Fizik Alante. However, I started thinking about vintage saddles like the Turbo or San Marco Regal. I used to ride the Turbo saddle and am thinking of getting a re-issue for my bike. What do you think? Anyone else riding one of these? Pics please.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, the real NOS are expensive. I re-issues are $50 but they are not real leather. I noticed a lot of them on eBay say NOS but are not, they are the re-issue.

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
You can buy decent old ones on eBay that are still in great shape for about what a new one would cost. I'd prefer the older ones, as they're real leather. The reissue, of course, is not leather, as I'm sure you know.

The Turbo is one of my favorite saddles of all time. I also really like the slightly more modern Flite. But any of the classics, the Turbo, Regal, Concor, Rolls, etc. all feel very good to me. I've got an NOS Vetta that is very similar to the Turbo.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
frpax said:
The reissue, of course, is not leather, as I'm sure you know.
So they're not real leather. Does that affect comfort or performance?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
put one back on for grins this yr, and after riding it asked myself wtf did I ever ride that?
soma makes a knockoff version (synthetic leather), called tubo or tabo or something like that

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
In my experience (and from knowing the dimensions of them) these saddles are quite different. The Turbo is wide, both in the tail and the nose. The Aliante is pretty long and narrow.

I'd try to sit on both saddles in your favorite shorts/bibs before sinking cash into them. Saddles are very personal. I have a Regal and a Rolls, both feel good in around town clothes, but in bibs feel a bit too wide and plush. As some say, it's a brace, not a seat.

With modern chamois many of us like a smaller, slimmer saddle.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I borrowed a bike with an old Turbomatic saddle on it and found it very comfortable. After that, I ordered a Turbo 4 from someone on eBay, but it wasn't the same as the old Turbo. It wasn't nearly as comfortable and I sold it after a few rides.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Turbo, or Turbomatic? I think there's a difference although I'm not certain of that.

I rode the original Turbomatic for ~14 years, absolutely loved it. Got a Turbomatic 4 a few years ago and, meh, just like Tarwheel says, it was different, so not so much love for it. I also have a Regal that I bought from Dave Hickey and is still on my most-ridden bike. It worked well until I lost a bunch of weight; now my butt is unhappy on about one ride out of three. So just yesterday I ordered an Aliante, a $180 experiment that may or may not work out.

The re-issue of the Turbo (no "-matic") is currently available for a paltry 50 bucks. Never had an original Turbo (again, no "-matic") and don't know how they differed from the Turbomatic, but have been tempted to try one of these re-issues since they're so cheap.

/ETA: nayr, I think you may be thinking of the Arione.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I rode the Turbo for years.
Really liked it.
Now I am Brooks and no pain and easy to maintain

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts
I've got San Marco Rolls saddles on my commuter and my Fargo. Purchased both saddles new in 1985 and 1986 -- still comfy, but the gold trim didn't patina well.

And I've got a Turbo -- a white, Bernard Hinault signature Turbo from 1985, but it's sitting in a parts box -- that saddle is completely worn out.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I rode Turbos for a while. For my a$$ the Regal is a better fit.

I DID like both the Pro Team Indurain and the Turbomatic series of saddles. I haven't tried the -4 tho.

YMMV

M

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts

I DID like both the Pro Team Indurain and the Turbomatic series of saddles. I haven't tried the -4 tho.

YMMV

M

·
Banned
605 Posts
I'm riding a new turbomatic team edition, the black and white one, and I love it. Tried 5 different saddles prior to it and it is head and shoulders more comfortable to me.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
I ride a Turbomatic4 (all black) on my sole remaining bike, although I would hardly call it classic or vintage - I bought it in 2003 or 4. Being a larger rider, I also have used the Regal with a lot of success. For some reason I rode the original Flite for years which is a bunch narrower than either of these and never had comfort issues.

I sold a 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper a few years ago and it had a pristine original Turbo on it. Wish I had held onto the saddle now just to say I had it. I rode on a Concor Light about 5 years ago and that was the single most torturous ride I can ever remember, I think that one went into the bin (not the parts bin) as soon as I got home.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
MShaw said:
Can you elaborate on this? I have generally done better on saddles that have a rounded profile at the wide, back end. I can't recall how rounded my old, first-gen Turbomatic was, but I think the problem with my Regal may be that it's TOO rounded.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Last year I bought 2 NOS Turbomatics with steel rails from this place. http://www.mombat.org/MOMBAT/index.html. They had something stacked on top of them and they had a couple of "dents" in the top of the seat. The dents have disappeared & the seats are just like I, or my butt, remember. I don't see any on their site now, but they might be worth a call.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I rode one for years in the early 90's It now sits on my old bike up in the attic. I have considered putting it on the new bike to see if it is still as comfy as I remembered. Mine was a turbomatic...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts