Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
I ride a Turbo2 and love it but the leather is coming ooff...after what...17 years? I l also ride 2 bikes with the Regal saddle and like those very much.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
Can you elaborate on this? I have generally done better on saddles that have a rounded profile at the wide, back end. I can't recall how rounded my old, first-gen Turbomatic was, but I think the problem with my Regal may be that it's TOO rounded.
The turbomatic is different than the turbo. Flatter across the top. My rear liked em, but the orig Turbo is harder and rounder. The Regal I'm riding now is kinda in the middle.

Its been a while (2002) since I rode my last Turbomatic, so take these remembrances with a grain of salt.

If you liked the Turbo, the Pro Team Indurain was the same shape, just lighter.

M

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wait a minute.....so vintage Turbo's are in demand and worth a few $$? I have a second year Turbo (real leather) that's been sitting in a drawer in mint condition. Any offers?? :ihih:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I bought 2 NOS Turbomatics last summer for about $45 - 50 IIRC.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
jmlapoint said:
I rode the Turbo for years.
Really liked it.
Now I am Brooks and no pain and easy to maintain
I've got 2 and they're almost perfect. My only complaint is having to put a plastic bag over them when it's raining.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I rode the Turbo saddles for years starting in the mid 80's through the late 90's (with an Ullrich signature model). So far (for about 50 miles) the current model Turbomatic Team (without the cutout) is a great improvement over a variety of Specialized and fizik saddles that didn't really fit me, a larger guy at 6'0" and 180 lbs.

A little concerned about the lifespan of the carbon rails, however.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
Not anymore, but I've got an old one from the 80's, down in the basement that has 40-50,000 miles on it. It's a white turbo (cool in the 80's) that has much of the white worn off, down to "skin" color.
I used to from when I started to when I got my first Flite.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i had two similar saddles recently on mid '80s univegas i flipped. one still felt great; the other, not so much.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I'm in the market for a saddle. I was leaning towards a Fizik Alante. However, I started thinking about vintage saddles like the Turbo or San Marco Regal. I used to ride the Turbo saddle and am thinking of getting a re-issue for my bike. What do you think? Anyone else riding one of these? Pics please.
I rode the Turbo for about 20+ years. Liked the basic leather ones. I bought a couple re-issue ones a couple years back and didn't like em. I still have a nice 15 yr old Turbomatic I used for 10 years. But have since moved on to SMP models and Specialized Romin too. Much better for me.

still have a vintage Rolls on my vintage race bike. it feels good, I should have tried them back in the day, but they were expensive and looked so similar to the Turbo

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had a Turbo for a while back in the 80s, it used to come stock on lots of complete bikes (I had it on a Miyata 914). When I got more serious, I raced on a Regal for years back in the day. I don't remember any issues ever with that saddle. I rode a more upright position back then and the wide Regal worked well for me in that position.

However, I think modern saddles can be equally great. I currently have about a 4 inch saddle to bar drop on my road bike and the Romin Evo is splendid. I have the Romin Evo on three different bikes, it works for me just as well as the Regal used to.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts