Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. They look the part and are resonably priced for the components. Weight is so-so on the frame, and the low ends are still Asian assmbley. Still a good looking ride and they have a steel+carbon stay bike that intrigues me quite a bit.

Anyone?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Friend has an Italian built steel track bike...it's quite nice, I would try to go with an Italian built model if they offer it....you can get a Chinese built bike anywhere....

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
culdeus said:
Just curious. They look the part and are resonably priced for the components. Weight is so-so on the frame, and the low ends are still Asian assmbley. Still a good looking ride and they have a steel+carbon stay bike that intrigues me quite a bit.

Anyone?
All new Masi's are Tiawan or Chinese built frames. From what I have heard/read about them, they frames are fine. When you consider that you can often buy an entire Masi bike for just a bit more than you would pay for the grouppo, they seem to be a good deal. As long as you understand that at that price point you are going to get very little in the way of specific ride tuning, and have no illusions as to where the bike was made. You also have to consider the possibility that you may have a warrety issue at some point. I don't know what their customer service is like. OTOH, I do know that Giant and Specialized (both Tiawanese frames) have excellent customer service.............That means alot to me as I have destroyed two bikes in the last three years. With Specialized's help, I was able to upgrade with each purchase. They didn't have to do anything as neither frame was destroyed while riding.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
New Masis

Masi is part of Haro, a big time BMX presence.

While my shop doesn't carry Masi, we do carry Haro BMX, and I have nothing but good to say about Haro and how they stand behind their products.

The "Speciale Carbon" (the steel/carbon model) is particularly interesting. I just wish they "specced" it with Campy as an alternative to the ubiquitous Ultegra.:(

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I've got a speciale primo frame
(all steel R-853)

I love that bike. Its no longer my race bike but I use it all the time. The ride is great and actualy, I think it fits me a little better then my current rig. Although mine was one of the last to roll off in Cali, the quality overseas won't let you down. They've been building bikes there for a while now and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one (other then i like supporting local industry)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Richard said:
Masi is part of Haro, a big time BMX presence.

While my shop doesn't carry Masi, we do carry Haro BMX, and I have nothing but good to say about Haro and how they stand behind their products.

The "Speciale Carbon" (the steel/carbon model) is particularly interesting. I just wish they "specced" it with Campy as an alternative to the ubiquitous Ultegra.:(
Using my own quote:rolleyes: but I just got a Speciale Carbon.

I saw in Masi's '07 catalog that they were discontinuing this model (the steel/carbon mix). I called our inside rep at Haro/Masi and he gave me the scoop. Even though it is the Masi product manager's favorite ride, the bean counters prevailed. Every other bike in Masi's line is pure Taiwan (not a "bad" thing), but the Speciale uses Dedacciai tubes, drawn, cut and mitered in Italy, along with the Dedacciai carbon seat and chain stays, also fabricated in Italy. They are sent to Taiwan for welding, bonding, paint, assembly, etc.

Because of this, the Speciale retailed for almost as much as the full carbon with the same Ulyegra component spec. In that steel is perceived as "heavy/old school", the bike just didn't sell well. Thus the axe.

Gotta run, but I'll post again later about my build (Campy) and how the bike rides and handles (spectacular!) Finally, as to heavy, with my build and pedals, it is 17.7 lbs!!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I'm baaaaccckkk!

I built the Masi up with my almost new Campy Centaur components. I kept the FSA SLK carbon compact crank and Fizik Arione saddle. The Ultegra components and wheels are going on another frameset and then probably to Ebay.

I put my Bontrager Race X Lites on it and, as I said, it weighs under 18 lbs. with pedals.

I've got about 200 miles on it now and I am impressed. It's definitely stiffer than my lugged all steel Reynolds 531P but it sucks up road buzz in a way that'll make you never want to ride aluminum again. The geometry is classic Euro "stage race", i.e., fairly steep head tube angle, relaxed seat tube angle, low bottom bracket, and a relatively long effective top tube (57cm on a 56cm sloping top tube size.) It reminds me of an old Carrera Team Battaglin I had back in the late 80's. Great directional stability from low speeds all the way up to scary, but with that ability to change line in a corner that is the mark of a great descending race bike.

Finally, it is (in my opinion) a drop-dead gorgeous bike.:D The quality of the paint work is damn near up to American custom standards and (I hate to say it) better than anything I've seen come from Trek. I wish I had a digital camera so I could post some pics, but if anyone is interested it still is up on www.masibikes.com.

And if what I paid on a "pro-deal" is any indication, some dealers may be blowing this model out. It's not the lightest bike out there, so weight weenies need not apply. But if you're an old fart like me and still like that magical ride of quality steel (with the plus of a little extra damping from the carbon rear triangle), the Masi Speciale Carbon is a winner.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Keeping the thread alive

I've got about 800 miles on the Masi now and all I can say is that I'm very pleased.:D

The Trek and Shimano Reps were both "ragging" on me for not going with their respective products, but then again I have not had a "production" bike since the 80's.

I don't race anymore (and if I did I'd do it on a beater aluminum) so I want a ride that I can do 40-60-80 miles and come back with my fillings still in my teeth. At the same time, I don't want a "touring" bike - I like the crisp handling and sheer efficiency of a "Euro stage race bike!"

As to the fact that it is not strictly an "Italian" bike, consider that the Pinarello full carbon comes from mainland China. It isn't where it's built, it's how it's built. But I still have to give "props" to Trek and Cannondale for building as much as they can in the USA.

God knows we're losing good manufacturing jobs hand over fist.:(

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Gone past 1000 miles on the Masi Carbon Speciale. I really can't say enough good about this bike. Stiff as a brick out of the saddle on climbs, but it glides over bad and broken-up pavement. Truly a big mileage, all day bike.

I've seen some closeout prices on the internet not much above wholesale (as it has been discontinued - a real shame) but you have to find a dealer as it will not be sold anywhere but a LBS. Check www.masibikes.com for a dealer locater. And no, I don't work for Masi.

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
Richard-
I bought a Masi Nouva Strada in May and put on about 1500 miles last summer. I spent less than $1000 and it came with a nice set of components for the price and I feel that it's a very good ride for the price. I haven't had one issue with it. Mine is Taiwan made. Someday I'll upgrade, but for now I'll keep riding my Masi.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
One of my co-workers had been looking at a Trek 1600. He really likes my Speciale Carbon but can't afford one. The '07 Gran Corsa has a similar component spec to the Trek, but adds a full carbon rear triangle for less money. As both are Taiwan sourced, he's leaning to the Masi (plus his father is Italian!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a Masi Speciale Carbon from eBay. I will be selling my Airborne Zeppelin since it was too big for me. Hopefully the Masi will have the same or even better ride than the Ti frame. Does anyone have any specs on the Speciale Carbons i.e. weight, geometry, etc?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i don't think its fair to say one can get steel with carbon stays anywhere. The speciale is deda eom 16.5 with a 1 1/8" integrated fork. Not easy to find for less than 1500 bucks. This is arguably the finest riding superlightweight steel ever made, and blends modern technology, such as the aformeantioned fork, and even carbon in the rear triangle, for those that prefer.
The masi on ebay for 800 dollars is a sick deal.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pass the coolaid

jhamlin38 said:
i don't think its fair to say one can get steel with carbon stays anywhere. The speciale is deda eom 16.5 with a 1 1/8" integrated fork. Not easy to find for less than 1500 bucks. This is arguably the finest riding superlightweight steel ever made, and blends modern technology, such as the aformeantioned fork, and even carbon in the rear triangle, for those that prefer.
The masi on ebay for 800 dollars is a sick deal.
I just bought a the last 58cm Speciale Carbon from Mike off ebay - looks like the build will come in around 17 pounds.
Haven't ridden it yet, still waiting for a backordered cassette.

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Q. Who rides Masi ???

A. Dave Stoller (Breaking Away)

...couldn't resist...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.