Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just upgraded cross bikes for this year and moved over to a full carbon Giant TCX with Ultegra. Swapped my Stan's iron cross race wheels over and converted to 1x as well.

Anyone running carbon bars and stems on their bikes? I have them on my road bikes and my mountain bike, so I am sure if they can handle the rigors of being on my mountain bike that I race they can handle a CX bike as well.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Just upgraded cross bikes for this year and moved over to a full carbon Giant TCX with Ultegra. Swapped my Stan's iron cross race wheels over and converted to 1x as well.

Anyone running carbon bars and stems on their bikes? I have them on my road bikes and my mountain bike, so I am sure if they can handle the rigors of being on my mountain bike that I race they can handle a CX bike as well.
just a note. A mountain bike has a front shock absorbing most of the vertical loads so the bars see a very reduced amount of load. A cx bike is rigid meaning more load to the bars. They aren't much lighter than a good set of Alu and one will worry less about them snapping. Your call.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
What bars are made of doesn't really mean anything.

Some carbon bars are really strong. Thin weight weenie bars or cheap poorly made ones wouldn't be. Same for alloy.

I do have carbon bars on my CX bike. It's a steel frame though so what do I know.

I'm not anti-carbon but when it comes to stems it's kind of pointless IMO. Lots of extra cost with nothing in return. Unlike bars where you can get shapes unavailable in alloy.

Just get bars that you like the shape and feel of whatever they happen to be made of.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run an aluminum stem and carbon bars, both Thomson. Carbon stems just don't provide anything to justify the cost.
Stick with quality brands and carbon is just fine.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
Seems carbon stems are pretty rare anyway. You can get a 7075 stem just as light and strong as a carbon part. As far as bars go, I'm running aluminum because I figure I'll crash a lot more in CX than I ever would on the road. And because I don't feel like spending another $200+ to replace my brand new stock bars.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

I have noticed a huge change in riding feel and road vibrations on both of my road bikes running the carbon Giant Stems and 3T carbon bars. I may give the 3T and Giant stem a go on the cross bike as well. With my discount the change over wont be that bad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have Whisky carbon bars with aluminum Thomson stem on my main CX bike. Alu FSA bars and stem on my ancient Redline that's now SS. Can't tell any difference between them when riding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 3t ergosum team carbon bars on my cross bike, and I find they flex too much for me. I've raced them for a couple of seasons, and they have held up fine, but when the down hills get rough that is when I feel the bars moving around more than I'd like. On the road they are great. I'm 170lbs, and I think carbon road bars can be built strong enough, but its hard to know if they are. Road bikes don't stress bars as much as cross does. Next time I'll be looking for something stiffer.

I use the thicker Lizard skin DSP tape on both bikes and an aluminum thomson stem. Bar tape and tire size/inflation make the biggest difference to comfort for me at least. The only time I realize what material bars I'm riding, on or off road, are when the carbon set I have starts flexing on rough trails.

I like carbon for its weight saving but if I get another set they need to be tuned for the rigors of off road riding. Bars ridden on the road just don't see the same loads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.