Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this at least twice during my life...this past Saturday driving home from a ride I saw an old man (probably in his 50's - 60's) walking on the shoulder of a major freeway dragging a cross resting on his shoulder. It looked to be made of 4x4's and was at about 15-20' tall x 10-15' wide). The guy had a very long beard and looked pretty fatigued. He had rigged up a wheel on the bottom of the cross so he wasn't really dragging it, but holding it up and rolling it (but it still had to be difficult from the size of the thing). He also had what looked like to be a cooler with some stuff strapped to the top of the cooler. Anyone else see anything similar to this before? I wish I had a picture...

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
The wheel is cheating, real men drag the cross sans wheel, it's how jesus would have wanted it done.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Yup, numerous times. Try googling the Philippines and see how they not only drag it but the proceed to put the nails in as well.

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
I have, but I turned the other direction when my soul started burning.

The guy I saw had his rigged with a wheel as well. I kinda wanted to yell, "Cheater!"

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
jupiterrn said:
Yup, numerous times. Try googling the Philippines and see how they not only drag it but the proceed to put the nails in as well.

Was going to post the very same thing. Nothing like a good crucifixion to prove your devoutness. :thumbsup:

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Kinda shows that one doesn't understand the forensic nature of the imputation of Christ's righteousness.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
many times in TX, but none since moving to IN. Such heathens here.....

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
people will do anything for attention.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
tomk96 said:
people will do anything for attention.
Like walk around covered head to toe in a scarf...or walk miles and miles to a place of worship in the middle of winter in formal wear and no overcoats.

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
I hung out on Daytona Beach for 2 years straight when I was going to Embry Riddle back in 1997 to 1999.

There was a guy that would walk up and down the beach for a solid month every spring break carrying a cross with a wheel on it. We'd look at him, raise our beers, then go back to thong counting.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
FTF said:
The wheel is cheating, real men drag the cross sans wheel, it's how jesus would have wanted it done.
Made of oak too.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I bet Jesus is spinnin' in his grave.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
dude, you are not gonna believe this.
i just went to see if he was indeed spinning in his grave. the stone was moved and HE WASN"T THERE! but his burial cloth was. folded neatly and set aside.

MR_GRUMPY said:
I bet Jesus is spinnin' in his grave.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I have seen a man in an easter bunny suit dragging a cross, but I went to college at a school with a very active art program.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
MCF said:
I have seen this at least twice during my life...this past Saturday driving home from a ride I saw an old man (probably in his 50's - 60's) walking on the shoulder of a major freeway dragging a cross resting on his shoulder. It looked to be made of 4x4's and was at about 15-20' tall x 10-15' wide). The guy had a very long beard and looked pretty fatigued. He had rigged up a wheel on the bottom of the cross so he wasn't really dragging it, but holding it up and rolling it (but it still had to be difficult from the size of the thing). He also had what looked like to be a cooler with some stuff strapped to the top of the cooler. Anyone else see anything similar to this before? I wish I had a picture...
Yep. Saw that same sight when I was younger and reckless. Being a devout rebel and anti-establishment brat, I yelled from my car that Jesus wasn't that lazy and his cross didn't have wheels.

Not my finest moment.

·
rooster rubber
625 Posts
Common sight here in Northern New Mexico, especially the week leading up to Easter.

Alot of Catholics make the pilgramage to El Santuario de Chimayo. Some of these folks will walk 100+ miles to get there on Good Friday. Believers refer to it as the "Lourdes of America" due to what they claim are the healing powers of the place.

Personally I think it's a pretty neat tradition (And I'm not Catholic or even particularily religious)

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
robdamanii said:
Yep. Saw that same sight when I was younger and reckless. Being a devout rebel and anti-establishment brat, I yelled from my car that Jesus wasn't that lazy and his cross didn't have wheels.

Not my finest moment.
I'm sure the guy with the wheeled cross forgives you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts